Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What Do I Say?

It has been about one year now since I walked away from the business world nonsense. No matter how hard I tried to fit in...I just didn't. I had a stirring inside, a longing for something different.

I found myself not caring about all the things others cared about. I discovered I did not want to talk about what others thought important. It all seemed so shallow. I found myself looking within. I was the square peg and I would never fit into that round hole. Here I thought I was lost when I really was just finding myself.

So now what do I say? What do I say when I come across an old business acquaintance and they ask where have I been and what have I been up to?

I say "I'm retired". They would never understand it all nor do they really want to know or even care who I am now. I could so easily say "I didn't want to grow up so now...

I play in the dirt,


I spend time with my (blogging) friends,


I remodel and decorate,


and I do arts and crafts.


But I don't say any of that. Instead I just say "I'm retired".

Photobucket

18 Blessed Comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) April 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

That's a neat post Cindy! You know, I sold advertising for about 8 years and I just got so bored and tired with it. Now I work part time with families who are court ordered and need parenting skills. I find it so much more rewarding, not real lucrative but it makes me feel more useful inside. I love all the things you've been up to, their the same things I love the best!
Hugs,
Cindy

Creations By Cindy April 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

I adore the little pictures! How cute! Yep, just say "I'm retired". Be blessed girl. Cindy

Andrea April 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

What a beautiful life it is when we are happy! Praising GOD with you for the place HE has so beautifully brought you to.
Hugs, blessings, and prayers,
andrea

ClassyChassy April 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

I enjoyed reading that today! People in the business world probably would think your 'new life' sounds boring - but some of them would just never understand the square peg syndrome, would they?

Maureen April 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

"Retired" is perfect. And now you get to explore your creative side!

I am at a crossroads and the one thing that I know for sure is that I don't want to do a 9-5 job. Been there, done that. Too confining.

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk April 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

haha -- how perfectly perfect. The business world lost a jewel in you when you "retired". I'm glad you're where you want to be, and thrilled that I get to read inspiring posts like this one. I LOVED IT!

Erin April 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Oh, I felt the same way when I came home after 20 years in Corporate America, the last 10 at a huge multinational financial corporation. I didn't understand the values of the people I worked with, I didn't care about the things they did (cars, purses, shoes as indicators of substance and meaning - really?) Coming home/being home hasn't always been easy, but it has always made sense to me. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Rosie@Journey to Charm April 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

I am so with you. I spent over 20 years as a professional in the corporate world, and had more than my fill of it. When I finally quit, I told them I was retiring, too. Most of the women told me they were jealous, but happy for me. And yep, I dig in the dirt, blog, create new crafts, etc. This is real living, isn't it?

Robyn April 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Happy retirement! I walked away from that world about the same time as you and have most definitely not looked back.

I'm stopping by to welcome you to SITS!

Linda April 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Such a fun post~ you just have to follow your heart!

Chatty Crone April 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

I'm so glad you're 'retired' me too. It's much more fun. sandie

Becky April 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

What a perfect answer!! I know that feeling of relief when walking away from a job that makes you miserable. I admire the courage it took for you to walk away!

Menopausal New Mom April 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

Good for you. Great post, I can tell you that I don't miss the drama of working in an office for those 22 years, I don't have the time, I have a 4 year old running around to keep up with :)

Patti April 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

Lucky you! If you really want to amuse yourself, you can also tell them that you are "too busy to work"!

Maggie B April 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

Retired??
I'm busier now than I ever was was I "worked".
Now I'm Living with a capital "L"!
BTW, the pix on this post are fab.
~Maggie~

gayle April 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

I am so wanting to retire!! I hear it is awesome!!

Mimi April 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

Great post!

I'm a Welcomista & am stopping by to welcome you to SITS. I'm also hosting a giveaway on my blog if your interested in stopping by.

Have a great night!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP