Friday, April 9, 2010

My Treasure Hunts

What did you play as a child? Were you creative and did you have an imagination that was wild with excitement and with the possibilities of all that can be? Did you embrace outlandish roles that did not even consider your gender? Were you over the top and did not care what others might think? Was it more important just to have fun and be in the moment?


In my own adult life, I am discovering similarities to the escapades in my imaginative childhood to those pursuits that I am enjoying now. I had boy cousins to play with so we scampered up trees, darted in and around buildings playing army, whooped it up being cowboys and Indians, argued who would play the good guys versus the bad guys, and became pirates looking for lost treasures. 


Nothing was more exciting than those treasure hunts. And it is really not much of a different pursuit than what I do now. 


I go on treasure hunts looking for the lost and forlorn...looking for those vintage pieces to make them valuable again. These pictures of my most recent treasures...found dumped all in one box...needed to be valued again. 


So I still enjoy the adventure of a good hunt, the thrill of looking for treasure, and the satisfaction of unearthing something of value. As I contemplate 'what is my real age here?', I've come to the realization that it is okay to be young at heart. So how young are you? 
Photobucket

8 Blessed Comments:

Maureen April 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Oh! Oh! Oh! I would have been so excited to come home with a treasure chest like that! I wrote a post a while back about how I loved to win boxes of jewelry at auctions. I love to put it in my car without peeking until I get home. Then I spend hours going through all the pieces. Such fun!

As a child I was oblivious to gender roles. I played with dolls with as much relish as I caught tadpoles in the swamp. I would go from playing dress-up all decked out in my rummage sale finds, to throwing on my hockey gear and heading for the rink. Looking back, I feel like I was just busy, busy. Up and out first thing in the morning with the warning from my mom "be home by dark". Simpler times.

To this day I feel the same in my heart and soul. If it feels good, do it! I am still the big dork who hops on my boogie board to ride the waves at the beach....for hours! I do get a few stares. My kids just sit on the beach shaking their heads. Party poopers!

I'm glad you posted this - it was fun to think back. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your cache!

Anne - Fiona and Twig April 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

Oooo, I'm loving all your bling!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Anne

Creations By Cindy April 9, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Oh I love this! It is so funny cause I still have some jewells from around 1984 and my granddaughters enjoy playing with some if so much. But I love old jewells like that. Be blessed. Cindy

GARAGE SALE GAL April 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

More WOW treasures! You have been finding some yummy goodies! Love vintage jewelry and I have used them for magnets and altered projects. So many used...plus just sitting in a dish looking pretty!
Happy Weekend.
Deb :)

Becky April 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Well, I think you, Maureen and I could have conquered the world had we grown up together! I played the same way - with reckless abandon - in the moment. My parents hated that it carried over in to my teen and adult years. But you know, what, I cam honestly say that I am a much happier person than they could ever allow themselves to be.

Love your new treasures!

Sara's Sweet Surprise April 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

Hello Cindy~ Thank you for your strolling by and leaving your sweet comment.
I've truly missed my visits, but little by little I'm catching up.
Although last month was difficult with our loses a new month has brought new hope.
I poured myself a cup of tea and read a spell...
I still love playing with jewelry, especially vintage. I love to incorporate old pieces into a few DIY decorations and gifts.
I feel so fortunate whenever I come across vintage jewelry at an estate sale. I would love to know the history of the prior owners and what special events they may have wore them to.

Come by for a visit your company would be nice.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster April 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

I too had treasure hunts as a child. Now my favorite items to hunt for are vintage books. I like what you found on your treasure hunts though!
Blessings,
Nancy

Dee April 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

I have my chair pulled up and am having some fun, let me tell you! Wasn't it fun to play dress up? gosh, how could we forget? it was always a delight to go to one friends house as she had the neatest shoes and dresses, etc. and, oh, the purses!! You have certainly stirred the memory bank a little! and I have enjoyed it!! I will be back another time!! I am new at this, so please come visit me at deeslittlepinkie and chat a spell!!
Pink Hugs,
Dee

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP