Monday, March 8, 2010

Lessons Learned

Great weekend...
weather finally stretching into the 60's
and
an enjoyable auction and a fun flea market.


This weekend's auction triggered some childhood memories while I was loading an old bike that I had just purchased. My first attempt at riding a bike was an experience of passage. Going for independence...from that little kid to a big kid who could ride wherever and whenever.

My Aunt Nan taught me how to ride a bike. She was still in her teens when we took that two wheeler out onto the street in front of my Grandmother R's house. She said she would hold onto the bike. She said she would not let go. She said not to worry. She said she would not let me fall.


So we began...with me pedaling and her trotting behind holding onto the bike. To this day, I still remember that moment of exhilaration, nervousness, and awkwardness. Then it happened. I yelled 'this is fun'! No answer. Then I realized that Aunt Nan was no longer there.  She had let go. She had abandoned me!

It is good to let children go on their own, out on adventures. But it is always a good idea to prepare them first. You see, Aunt Nan did not teach me how to stop. I did not know how to brake. No clue. And now I was nearing an intersection. I panicked as I envisioned being hit by a car. So I did what I thought best. I swerved and ran head on into a tree and fell. I'm sure I had to have been hurt, but I don't remember that part. All I remember is getting up off the ground and being spittin' mad. I marched toward her yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs. I'm sure I was a sight and made the neighbors curious as to what the ruckus was about.


So I learned more that day than how to ride a bike. I learned what trust meant. I learned how to stand up for myself. I learned that I always need to be prepared. I also learned there are no guarantees in life, but I sure know how to keep on getting up everytime I fall...

Photobucket

9 Blessed Comments:

Andrea March 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

My balance is not good anymore...I can't manage the bike. Glad you were successful.
Blessings,
andrea

Farmgirl Cyn March 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Hard lesson learned! But to your Aunt's defense, she was just a teenager and just hadn't thought the whole process through!

ClassyChassy March 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Neat read today! No guarantees in life, for sure. Many of us used to hold out for guarantees - like - Post Office Jobs - you are set for LIFE if you land one of those! Or summer vacations - can't count on em anymore, can ya - with unemployment looming everywhere and high gas prices sure to creep higher and higher as summer approaches! Nope - no guarantees on anything. We gotta do the best we can in life!

Catherine March 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Lovely story.All you learn from childhood is important for your future life!

Chatty Crone March 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

I'm thinking of a book called every thing we needed to learn we learned in kindergarten . . .

we learn much more then just riding a bike when we learn to ride a bike - right?

sandie

Marianne@Songbird March 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

I think we all have a bike riding lesson like that. Except I started with training wheels and somehow graduated to two wheels automatically. But then again, here in the Netherlands we are practically born with bikes attached to us so we learn very early.
Nice find! I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to use the bike.

Patti March 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Great post...brought back many memories for me

Becky March 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Laughing cause i can just see this in my mind's eye! I've been thinking about getting an old-fashioned bike with no gears and pedal brakes. I never could figure out all those gears and handle breaks.

Maureen March 8, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Sounds like you had a good weekend! An auction and a flea market!

You learned a lot that day. It takes things like this to learn them. It would have been nice to know how to stop though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP