Tuesday, March 2, 2010

HOPE

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul... ~Emily Dickinson

I know all of us are tired of the cold, tired of the snow, and tired of being tired. It has been a long winter for many and more so for some than for others. All things considering, this winter has been milder and less intrusive for my family and country neighbors.

You see, this time last year we had a major ice storm. We went without power for nine straight days and we stuck it out. Our trees moaned with the weight of the ice that first night as we tried to sleep. It was almost unbearable to hear their pain and when they no longer were able to fight, they snapped and loudly tumbled to the ground. Our trees that managed to stay rooted are now scarred and misshaped from their branches giving way.

I was heartbroken that our piece of land looked like a battleground. Everything in our yard was damaged including the garden. Our house, this time, only had a few nicks (two years ago, we had a major wind storm that brought two trees down upon it). Clean up from this ice storm took a couple of back breaking months with chain saws and hauling it all out.

So I am saying all of this, because as this winter started I had HOPE that it would be better than last. I had HOPE there would be no damage. I had HOPE that I could withstand the cold. I had HOPE that I could tolerate the lack of sunshine. I had HOPE that spring would be just around the corner. 

I had and I continue to have HOPE.
Remember to always allow HOPE to perch in your soul...   

Photobucket

17 Blessed Comments:

Rebecca March 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

Cindy...

This year I asked God to help me 'enjoy' the winter months. I'm from Cali and spent my childhood there and even after all these years miss it more than I can say.

Still...wishing good days away seemed to press in on my spirit. I'll never like the snow and storms and such will always scare me. But, this year I vowed to trudge my way through the snow and ice and complain as little as possible. Instead I'm trying to be like you...grateful the really, really bad stuff passed us by.

Always a joy to visit.

Love to you~ Rebecca

Jane March 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

I think you posted a beautiful message. I live with hope everyday!!
Jane

jen March 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

and i will have HOPE for my Grandmother tonight...
thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today.

LV March 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

I really enjoyed your message today. We must always hope and trust, and with time things usually work out. I will never complain about the heat again.

Chatty Crone March 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

Funny you write about winter - Georgia had 4 inches today!

Anyway - hope - I love that word - all you need is a little flicker of hope - and you'll never give up.

Sandie

Lindy MacDuff March 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

Excellent post. I remember that storm last year. It did not affect us but did a lot of damage at a friend's home in western KY, just as you described. I hope the remainder of your winter remains mild.

Thanks for your very kind comment on my current post. I have been enjoying your blog, too.

Here's to the not-to-distant warmer days!

Kathy March 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

I'm with you sweetie...although we've had some snow and cold this winter...it's been pretty mild compared to other years.
Lets just say ...so far it hasn't been a winter to write home about!
Hallalijah!...

Loved your post,
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Maureen March 2, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

Hope. That's what we all need.

We lived through a scary ice storm in the late 90's. It's incredible how we adjust and adapt to somehow get through it.

Small Burst March 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

Thanks for posting such an amazing message. I will perch hope in my soul :)

Ashleigh March 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Hey there, Glad to have come across your blog! I have lots of relatives in KY and TN. LOVE your grandma quote! Looking forward to
"followingur blog!" you and yo

Theresa @ 612Riverside March 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

Sometimes HOPE is all we have, and sometimes HOPE is all we need. What a great message. and yes, I am hoping spring is just around the corner! Theresa
p.s. thanks for calling me 'just a baby'! :)

www.MaisonStGermain.com March 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Perfectly said!
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

June March 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Hi Cindy, I can't even wrap my mind around nine days with no power. That would be a hardship for your family for sure. I know what you are saying about being sad to hear the trees in agony. I have such a one on one love for all the trees and plants in my garden. Isn't it wonderful to have this love of the land that we are blessed to dwell on?
hugs

Becky March 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

Awesome. Your words are beautiful Cindy.

Chatty Crone March 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM  

I know what you mean - I'm always taking my glasses on and off. Have you ever had something you can't read with your glasses on or off - I have!

Sandie

Le Chateau des fleurs March 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Beautifuly said. Thank you for caring about zacky and for being my friend:)
Frenchy
www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

gayle March 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

Hope is a wonderful thing!! I too am hopeful!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP