Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Warm Up With Color


Time to change it up after all these years with some color. White walls are great. They truly are. I've had white walls for many years, but...time to warm up my world. I'll keep and enjoy a variety of whites and creams in my furniture and accessories to balance my color palette. White is pure. It is uncomplicated. And it is simple.



Now about that color! I want warmth, especially with all the snow and cold outside. How to choose the perfect color? The only way is to play roulette. Game of chance, exciting, and not much money involved. How? I love it when people return their paint to the store. I come along after them and swoop up their 'whoops' and pay $5.00 for a full gallon of possibilities. Saves me time, money, and energy. And you know what...I have yet to be disappointed.


This new shade of brown on the walls that you see in these pictures is something I picked up before I knew what I would use it for. I admit to having a stash of paint in delightful shades to pull from. This is a light chocolate brown with a blush undertone when the light hits it. Notice the difference in the pictures? I took them at different days and times. 


Coupled with painting my woodwork from its dull stained surface to a new white state equals a match made in heaven.


I'm also waving goodbye to all the hunter green in my home to be replaced with a variety of blues. Thanks for stopping by to warm up with color.

Click here for the before picture of this room.
Click here for directions for the book page wreath.

Linking up to: 
Go have fun and visit these fab hosts!

My next post will showcase my furniture transformations.
Come back soon to see my chicken incubator!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

38 Blessed Comments:

Chatty Crone February 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

It never ceases to amaze me what a little bit of paint can do to spruce up a home. Buying returned paint cans - great idea. sandie

kristin February 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

I'm loving blue right now as well. Thanks for your kind comments on my kitchen!
Kristin

Marianne@Songbird February 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM  

That is risky! Hoping that you will like the paint color of a random pot. But I turned out wonderful in this case. Love the color and the way it changes with the light.

Self Sagacity February 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM  

I like all the changes, very creative.

Low Tide High Style February 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Very pretty I really like the color, and how great that you got the paint for such a good price. I think anytime you're ready for a change, paint is a great way to accomplish that!

Also, thank you for stopping by my blog.

Kat :)

Julie February 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Looks AWESOME. I know you are liking the change. It's amazing what a can of paint and some sweat equity can do to totally change the looks of a room. A very inexpensive way to redecorate and renovate!

The imPerfect Housewife February 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

I love the new color of the walls! I like white, too, because it's clean and goes with everything but that's what's nice about it - you can change things up all the time. I knew you'd do something creative!! Love it ~ ♥

Garden Antqs Vintage February 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

Hi Cindy, thanks so much for stopping by. I have several friends that have made paper wreaths for years, they are so pretty! Have a great day, Theresa

Polly February 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Hi Cindy! Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning and leaving a comment about the beadboard cupboard! It is so nice to connect with you! I scrolled through your blog and I really love your book wreath! It turned out great! I may have to add that to my list of craft projects! I signed on as a follower!

Polly

Debra@Common Ground February 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

Hi Cindy, nice to meet you. Love that gorgeous brown on your walls, and coupled with the blue it's really wonderful! And love that paper wreath!
blessings,
Debra

Diann @ The thrifty Groove February 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Your change in color looks wondeful! It really does look different at different times of the day doesn't it.I am a big "oops" girl myself. I love to rummage through the mistake paints and grab a couple of cans of different colors.

~La Rustique Market~ February 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Cindy,

I love your color choice for the walls...it just makes all the whites pop! Thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a great week!

Lisa

www.MaisonStGermain.com February 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

What a pretty shade of brown. It looks so nice with you decorations too. I have also picked up "whoops" cans to. I never know when I will be inspired to do some painting:) Thanks for stopping by.
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison February 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

That brown which was someone's whoops is beautiful and how nice is changes as the Sun's rays hit it in the afternoon. Glad to have found you!
~Tracie

gayle February 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Beautiful pictures!! I just in the last year have started using colors for my walls....after years and years of off white. I am loving it too.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home February 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Very nice new color. Love the book wreath!

jojo February 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Thanks for stopping by and wishing me well. I sometimes think this cold will last forever...
you have a beautiful blog here and I can't wait to come back and visit again. See you next White Wednesday.

Candy February 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

My brain cells are changing from color to white. I don't have a white wall in my house...I love deep rich color. But through my adventures in blogland I am thinking maybe...
Enjoyed your visit to my coming and going post today.
Warm Blessings ;-)

Kate February 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Hi Cindy
It always so wonderful and such a blessing to meet another amazing woman here on the blog. I love your blog as well and look forward to be inspired by your creativity and talent!!!

Have a wonderful week
Kate

Theresa @ 612Riverside February 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM  

I always go right for the 5.00 paint too! You never know what your going to find... yet another kind of treasure hunt! ~ Theresa

Nice and Easy Antiques February 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Absolutely love the brown walls, just perfect for your accents . And how cute is that wreath?????

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest February 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

That brown with the white woodwork is so pretty. The white really makes it pop! I have never checked the whoops paints out but I think I need to. :)

Jennifer Robin February 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

The "oops" paint at our local stores is never quite so nice as what you have here. Lucky you, I love the color!

Faded Charm February 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM  

I love how your whites stand out against the brown. I'm hoping to get my dining room painted this Spring for the same affect.

Enjoy your week.

Kathleen

Rita February 4, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

Hi Cindy,
thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment. Love your whites but I'm 100% with you... we need color too. Love the shade of chocolate brown paint you've chosen. very warm and cozy.
Until the next time wish you a great colorful day
rita

Fresh Poppy Sisters February 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Love all the changes. Good work! Love your beagles too (we have one named Scamper) Thanks for visiting us at fresh poppy design, come back soon!

Fancy Fodder February 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

Nice color:+)
I'm not going to pass up the paint returns anymore!
I also love your wreath on the previous post...will have to give that a try.
Have a great day!
Franny

Janean February 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

soooo pretty! it just a really dark white!! *big wink*

the heart and those hats -- adorable!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} February 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

"Oops" paint is a great way to freshen a space affordably!

I'm hosting my first giveaway on my blog, and I wanted to invite you to stop by for a chance to win fine art print(s):
http://theredchairblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/introducing-prairie-storms-prints-and.html

Tallulah Antiques Closet February 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Great picture of the bookshelf,and your friends KitKat and dale and chip they are soo cute..

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking February 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

What a warm and beautiful shade! Thanks so much linking up to the Power of Paint Party!

Becky February 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Sooo, you are telling us that you scoop up paint the way I scoop up fabric bargains? It's a disease ya know ;-)

Hope y'all aren't getting too much snow over there. We are getting cold, freezy rain - bleh!

Rita February 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Hi Cindy,
I would like to warn you that apparently my blog has been hacked into during the past couple of days so you might not be able to access it or if you do access my blog you are then redirected to some strange blog. To avoid problems with your computer all you have to do is remove all the cookies. I expect it won't be easy forf me to solve the problem as I do not seem to find any help whatsoever on the counteractions to be undertaken. I'm indeed very sad and disappointed that despite all my efforts to creat my own little bloggy world some mean people are destroying my blog. I do my very best to solve the problem as all the blog friends I've met so far mean the world to me and I'm not willing to give it all up. Meantime, if you know of someone else who has encountered the same problem with their blog, please e-mail me at ritapitoni@hotmail.com.
thank you so much for bearing with me.
with warm wishes
rita

Maureen February 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

Love your header redo and moving Etsy to the top. Looks great!

Miss Gracie's House February 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

Great color! Makes the white POP! Thanks for stopping by my place...
Rene'

My Grama's Soul February 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

I, too, love color. White is great but I have come to a point where I need color around me.

Seems to liven up the dull complexion as we get older.
LOL

Blessings,

Jo

Leigh of Bloggeritaville February 8, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Girl, I LOVE IT!!!!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Andrea February 11, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.
Hugs,
andrea

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP