Friday, February 12, 2010

Calling All Chicks!!!

Calling all chicks...am I talking about my female blogging friends or about barnyard feathered friends? Well, a little of both. And you are thinking that I may have been hibernating just a tad too long. That could be another story, maybe another time. Right now I want to talk about decorating and chickens. And I am not talking about decorating with a chicken/rooster decor. I'm talking about finding items that are not meant for the home and having something totally unique that no one else has.
So here she is....


What is she? How about a chicken incubator? And if that is not unique enough, how about that it is one I picked up at an Amish auction that was in a barn covered in filth and grey paint that had been splashed upon her great bones.


 Bones that the majority of people there could not see. They could not understand her potential beyond the use of a chicken incubator.


See this little contraption sticking out of her? What is that, you say? Amish do not use electricity so this was the source of heat. An oil based lamp was attached here. Light it and you have enough heat to hatch the eggs within the incubator. The lamp had to be removed for functionality and it was a leaky mess.


Next, I wanted to keep it to its original finish as much as possible. See the sides? They have not been finished yet as I'm waiting for spring to haul her outside. I took the plunge to do the top for now. After many hours of chemically stripping and sanding the top, I applied a few layers of red mahogany stain and a few coats of wipe-on poly clear stain. I would have never thought I would like a finish in red mahogany, but I love it and will be able to keep the lettering on the front intact.


For now, this makes a great table between my wicker chairs. A perfect place for reading or to sit back with a friend for some tea. Depending on your space and its use...how about as a coffee table, a bench, throw some cushions and pillows on it, or as a kitchen island? This beauty did come with legs so it could be easily converted into an island. My cost for this find...$70. I could have had this for less...except there was one other 'chick' who saw the potential. There's usually never any hard feelings if you lose out on bidding. After her loss and my gain of the chicken incubator, she immediately came to my side to discuss decorating possibilities. Now that is my kind of 'chick'!!!

Photobucket

26 Blessed Comments:

Laura February 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

I love it! But as a chicken person I keep wondering if it could still be made to work lol, I would love to have a real working incubator of that caliber. Beautiful and unique find.

ClassyChassy February 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

You are soooo SMART! Clever way to make use of this item! I'm so jealous! Great find!

Shellbelle February 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

I LOVE it! Gosh, I'm moving to Georgia soon and want to combine my beachy style with a country vibe and you did that right here! Kudos!

Sandra February 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Great find and so unique! Thanks for stopping by and for becoming a follower...hope to see you again soon.

Maureen February 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

That.is.fabulous! Love it!

Mimi February 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

Wow, that was a great find...the top is gorgeous...hope you will show us the completely finished gem.

Brenda February 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Very neat! Great idea for re-purposing.

Marianne@Songbird February 13, 2010 at 5:48 AM  

A chicken incubator! Who could have guessed. I love it. Please make sure you keep the lettering, it makes it so special.
Great find, great fix-up!

Jennifer February 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

LOL... I love it!! I am showing the same thing in a post coming up soon! My dad had one in a barn at his farm... and it came home with me! :)

Funky Junk Interiors February 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Amazing! I love how unique it is. And the finish you've done is awesome. Junk restored to another use?!? Totally my passion!

Check the sidebar widget. You'll be there this weekend. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

myletterstoemily February 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

i think it is fantastic when someone finds
a beautiful use for an old tool or item.

you take the cake!...or coop.

blessings

Red February 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

What a great find! It looks lovely.
Thanks for stoping by!

Sabrina February 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

What a fun find and great redo! I've only seen the electrified wooden incubators during my animal science days, so this is truly unique!

Kathy February 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

Hello!!!! This is my first visit here and your Chicken incubator caught my eye!!!
We had the exact same one years ago...stood on legs and I removed them and used it for a coffee table just like you! Fun!
We also had a tall one...about4 ft tall and actually hatched eggs in it when we lived on a farm! AHHHH! the good old days!
Enjoyed looking through your older posts...Happy Valentines day!

Stop over when time allows...love to have you visit also!,
xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

gayle February 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

That is an awesome idea!!

Lindy MacDuff February 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Great find and looks like you have found the perfect setting for it.

Melissa February 14, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

This is so fantabulous! I love everything about it, and what a conversation piece!

Take care, Melissa

Sweet Bee Cottage February 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Good eye! I've never seen anything like that, but it looks great. What else do you have up your sleeve?

Teri February 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

So cute! Good for your for seeing its potential!! :)

Linda February 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Lovin' this idea...looks sooooo good! Happy V-Day!

Blessings,
Linda

My Grama's Soul February 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

Loved the incubator. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such kind comments.

Blessings,

Jo

Chatty Crone February 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

That is truly beautiful and what a great idea.
Happy Valentine's Day ♥
Sandie

SweetMelissa February 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

This is FABULOUS!!! I'm so glad you found it a new home with a new use!

Cassie February 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

I love one-of-a-kind pieces like this....great conversation pieces!

Charlene February 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Wow, what a great find! Don't you just love it when you find a really great one like this? Congratulations on the find, and the new finish is absolutely beautiful-I can't wait until we can see the whole thing done, but it's lovely already.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP