Monday, February 1, 2010

Book Adventures


Using books and/or their pages within give me an inexpensive, creative outlet for my decor. I acquire a great number of books (old, new, used, and abused) through auctions. This past summer I hit it big with hundreds and hundreds of books. I sold some through flea markets, some through Ebay, and will soon list some in my Etsy shop. So what do I have left? Let's say lots of opportunities for crafts and projects.

I wanted a wreath made of book pages to display with my Classic Country decor. Click here to see the before and after of my room makeover. I really didn't want the cone shape for a wreath, but one with a softer effect. Now I could have figured it out myself, but chose to take a quicker route and do a google search. I found a great tutorial at Living With Lindsay. I put my own twist on it and came up with this.

Now if you want some great hot glue burns...go for it. Proceed with caution...this is dangerous. It helped when I gathered each page with a twisty tie from my floral supplies, then hot glued each page to my wreath. I varied the folds and lengths of my pages. I also used a book that was already starting to yellow so I did not have the extra step of aging it. I used a straw wreath that I had in my stash so this project cost me no money.

And see the dried roses? Those are the flowers I wore for my daughter's wedding last year. The perfect touch!

Linking up with:
Talented Tuesday
Second Time Around Tuesday
Trash to Treasure Tuesday
Get your Craft On
Toot Your Horn Tuesday
DIY Day
Visit these blogs to see more inspirational ideas!

Thanks for stopping by!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

36 Blessed Comments:

Andrea February 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Hope you don't mind. I added a link to your blog on arise 2 write.
hugs,
andrea

ClassyChassy February 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

I love your wreath idea! You could also have used the picks on floral foam - no more burns from hot glue!

Sandra February 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Love the wreath...want to try one now! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment...I just became a follower so I will be back soon! Sandra

Patti February 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

Your wreth came out great....and I know what you mean about "glue burns"...I got 2 really huge blisters when I made mine in December!

LV February 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

What a great creative idea. I would never thought of doing that with old books. They are very pretty and a neat. Best wishes to you and keep of the good work.

Maureen February 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

Awesome! You are taking this hibernation crafting thing very to whole new level.

Barbara Jean February 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

Cindy,
Love your wreath. How great you've gotten all those books!
I am always on the look out for them, but usually hard for me to tear them up. I just love the looks of them, the older and scruffier the better. =))

Sure do appreciate all your visits.
Have a super week!

blessings

barbara jean

Chatty Crone February 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

I loved your wreath - I don't think I could do that in a million years. And the dried flowers - perfect!!! sandie

Sandy February 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

Great wreath, I will have to try one. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

Pie February 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

I love your wreath! Happy Blue Monday.

Thanks for the visit.

Cat February 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

Wow, it turned out beautifully. I have a bunch of books I don't know what to do with, i'm going to try something like this.

Diann @ The Thirfty Groove February 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

I am loving these book wreaths. I have seen all different kinds, but I really love the simple elegant look of yours!

Frenchy chick February 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

Love the paper art. Thank you for visiting my blog:)
www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

Troy @ I Refuse to Recede February 2, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

What a fun idea! And the flowers will make it an 'heirloom' your daughter would treasure as well.

Troy

Marianne@Songbird February 2, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

I am loving these bookpages wreath! I'll have to go and make one too. I particularly like your touch of adding the flowers. Makes it much more personal.

hip chick February 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM  

This is beautiful! I may just have to try this myself.

Betty (picture circa 1951) February 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

That is so clever and the wreath looks lovely in your newly decorated room.

Pat February 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

I love the wreath and using old book pages for decorations. What a great idea. The dried roses gave it just the right finish. Love it.

It was good to see you back at junkblossoms. See you next time, Pat

C'est Magnifique February 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM  

The wreath is beautiful, I love the dried rose! Thanks for your comment on my book page wreath!

Tania

Maridith February 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

That is amazing!! Just beautiful!! Who would of thought book pages could be so beautiful!!

Thanks for visiting my blog!!

Sheri@childmade.com February 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

I've seen these before, but yours is especially pretty! I think because the pages are more loosely formed. Thanks for sharing! I'd love it if you joined my link party at childmade.com.

ivoryspring February 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

Thank you for visiting me and leaving the kind comment. Your wreath is such a great great idea! Do you mind if I added you to my blogroll?

honeysuckle February 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Your wreath turned out beautiful. I hope I can do it too. I have to demonstrate a craft for women next week and I think I will do this one. Thanks for sharing.

Vickie February 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Thanks for the comment on my COOKIE CUTTER DISPLAY. I love your wreath, I have just got to make one of these. I guess we inspire each other.

Martha February 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

That is delightful, I love what you've done with the pages.
I like using old maps too.

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com February 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

That looks great- kind of ruffled!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

MyJourneyBack February 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

Oh I love your wreath idea. I have an old dictionary that was my sisters. I think I'll try this for her. Thanks for sharing it. BTW I stayed awhile I love your blog. I am adding your button so I can come back. I love your bird wreath feeder tutorial too.
Hope the rest of your week is Blessed,
Sherry

Embellished Bayou February 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

This turned out fabulously, love the extra touch with the roses! Great job!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More February 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

It is absolutely charming. And the roses from the wedding? How wonderful!
Thanks so much for visiting today. My best friend from childhood just moved to Ky, but I have no idea where. I'll ask her, tho.
Adore your banner photo.

jeanne February 3, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

A very pretty wreath. we never get tired of wreaths do we. I want a new one for the winter that is not Christmas. A great idea. I too have books to give away. Years of collecting and now no room to put them all. I understand your love of books so well. Lucky you.

Hugs, Jeanne

Amy February 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

I had to stop by and say hello.
I found this post with the books and this lovely wreath. Books are my new love too for decorating, I am slightly obsessed with them. This is a great inspiration!
Amy
http://mittensathome.blogspot.com/

Charlene February 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

I saw one of these book page wreaths on another blog--I think I shall have to make one myself for my "library" room--read that my should-be-spare-room-but-is-in-fact-my-book-room-office-junk-room. I just love the look of these--and the dried roses are just the right touch, too!

Flower Patch Farmgirl February 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

I love, love, love your book wreath!! Makes me want to make another one. :)

Leanne February 7, 2010 at 3:18 AM  

I love your book wreath. It's one of my favorites. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Leigh of Bloggeritaville February 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

BEAUTIFUL!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP