Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Word, New Year, No Way

Okay...someone, somewhere has started this 'one word for the new year' trend. And some are jumping on board. Let's talk about it and the good, the bad, and the ugly that accompanies it.



I'm assuming that using 'one word' is to replace those nasty old resolutions. Yuck, kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth even as I type it. Resolutions never work...who started that anyway? It's taking the negatives in our lives and promising to do better next time around. Oh, I'm seeing failure hovering over those resolutions as soon as they are declared.  So replacing resolutions with something else is better, more positive, and more doable. That is good.

Now the bad. I find it difficult to use one word. Okay...if you know me, you know I can talk nonstop. It is who I am. So one word is not possible. And I have to say...one word cannot embrace one's true intentions when it comes to life. Oh it can to a point, but humans need better direction or we just get sidetracked. If we can't stick with resolutions, how can we stick to one word? Example: 'resolution-to lose weight' compared to 'one word-health'. See, not enough info for success.

My solution...choose a phrase or a quote so you can use it in every instance in your life. The ugly part is that it may not work if you don't use the right phrase or quote. I came up with my own for 2009. It was '2009 is mine by design' meaning if I plan and work hard, I will achieve what I want. I thought it was quite clever. Well, it was a big ugly. God has his own plans and if you are going in a different direction...let's just say the rug was pulled out from under me. I went from being an entrepreneur in marketing and starting new adventures to walking away from it all and coming home. So be the theme of my blog...plant some roots.

If you told me a year ago that this was going to be a part of my life and I would be blogging, I would have laughed at you hysterically and declared 'never'! But even though that was my 'ugly' at the moment, God had a better plan. So all is well. I just had to see it, understand it, and appreciate it.

You may be wondering what my phrase/quote is this year. It was by accident, not planned at all so it may be best that way. Drum roll please...it is...'Girls Just Want to Have Fun'.  Do I hear someone laughing. I'm sure I heard a snicker out there!?!

Maybe it's not clever or seems frivolous (don't tell Cyndi Lauper), but it has plenty of depth when applied properly. I'm not a fun person by nature. And when you are not fun, life can pass you by. I'm a planner and a doer, but because of this new direction...a better person is emerging or maybe I'm just rediscovering a lost self. I just need to allow fun so my creativity can emerge,  flow, and expand.

I can apply the 'girls just want to have fun' to all that is important in my life. Some of you already know my top ten values. If I apply that phrase to every value then not only I can benefit from it, but those around me, including my family and friends, will benefit also.

My top ten values are:
1. Gardening to produce fresh and healthy foods
2. Turning trash into treasures
3. Saving energy and becoming earth friendly
4. Experimenting in the kitchen to entice the taste buds
5. Making our house a home and a haven
6. Connecting and playing with nature
7. Creating and crafting
8. Becoming self-reliant by making soap and such
9. Participating in fun with the family
10. Educating myself and hopefully others

It's just about enjoying my life more while embracing what I value. Now that is better than any old resolution!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy  

6 Blessed Comments:

Girly Stuff January 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

People at work ask me all the time where I see myself in 5 years. What are my plans. I tell them I take it a year at a time. Things come up and I have to roll with it. I do say what my plans are but I know enough to not count on them. Kind of a "this is what I want" but God may have something else in mind. And I am OK with that.

His way always ends up better. So like you I take it month by month and just find the joy and fun in each day.

So I like you Girls Just Wanna Have Fun idea. You go girl!

Maureen January 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Sounds like an excellent plan! The other Cindy (Cyndi) would sooo approve!

I was just like you. Me blogging? Uh, no. From March to Sept I blogged to keep track of my garden. No followers or comments. And that was fine. Then Sept rolled around and I started "meeting" people and it has been great. I have met the nicest people (you included!) and I am glad that I stepped outside of my little world.

Marianne@Songbird January 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

For someone who doesn't like resolutions, you made some pretty great ones.
Wishing you that all of your dreams, resolutions and plans may come true in 2010.

Andrea January 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

I heard the one word thing the other day....

Thank you so much for your prayers and sweet comments on arise 2 write.

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Its So Very Cheri January 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

I'm an too much of a chatter box to condense anything into one word.

Cheri

Jane January 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

I for one love your phrase for 2010. Fun, laughter, joy...we all need it! So here's to all of us girls having lots of fun in 2010.
Jane

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP