Tuesday, January 26, 2010

In Search of Spring

As the wind howls and the snow drifts down from above, I stand at my window longing for spring. I envision the warmth on my back as I tend to my garden. I believe I can catch the aroma of flowers emerging from the freshly thawed ground. I think I can hear the symphony of my feathered friends as they rejoice with me...spring is here.

I am jolted back from my endless efforts of wishing and decide I need to just bring that fresh feeling of renewal to me. I can enjoy my version of spring during this winter season while I hibernate. I can capture the joy of nature within my own surroundings.

I just read somewhere in which it stated, 'Don't hibernate, decorate'. Can't I choose to do both? My definition in hibernating is my choice in how to face the harsh winter while enjoying a more relaxed pace indoors. It's about acceptance, do what I can while I can. So I have been decorating...feathering my nest. I've been working, no, I've been puttering as if I have no other obligations. I don't feel guilty as it brings me purpose. And this is good.

Right now, I'm creating my own space. It's a room just for me to allow for relaxation and creativity. I am surrounding myself with what brings me pleasure here at Lakewood. I will benefit from bringing spring to me while I wait for the official season to arrive. 

As far as gardening...I will plant seeds indoors so I can get that natural high when the heads of the plants break through the dirt.

In trying to smell the flowers...I will buy fresh flowers from the store the next time I run errands so I can enjoy their beauty and take in their fragrance for now.

And my feathered friends...I have invited them to feed on my deck by the back door. And they have accepted. This morning I had close to 25 birds at a time, delighted in the variety of seeds they had to choose from. I could sit here and watch them all day.

So don't wait for spring...go embrace it and bring it to you. 

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

10 Blessed Comments:

Andrea January 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM  

Great post!!
Trying to embrace it,
andrea

Gwen January 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

Go for it! I am starting to look over the seed catalogs myself, trying to remember what worked last year and what didn't.

Yes, I could keep a gardening journal, but that would be way to organized. I like being haphazard in the garden.

Jane January 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

Cindy,
You have such a wonderful talent for writing.
We have been feeding the birds here too. I really enjoy seeing a beautiful cardinal or one of the blue jays that have decided to visit for their daily seed. The squirrels have been more frequent too as they have discovered the peanuts that my husband has thrown out for the blue jays.
Today the sun is shining for the first time in several days and it's helping remind me that spring will be here soon.
Jane

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) January 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

Great post Cindy and I am with you, just trying to survive this long cold winter! Cindy

Maureen January 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

When thoughts turn to seed catalogs and planning a garden, it's the first inkling that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Feeding the birds is the one thing that keeps me connected to the outdoors. A few years ago I discovered that some of the birds that I thought migrated south for the winter (like goldfinches) actually stick around if you provide the right food (niger seed). The suet feeders are a buzz of activity and I just love seeing activity through my window.

alittlefrenchloven January 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Cindy,
Love your post! Was so inspiring!
Michelle

My Grama's Soul January 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

I love it that you are feathering your nest....and creating your own space. We all need a place of our own!

Blessings dear friend,

Jo

Its So Very Cheri January 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

So glad you enjoyed the MULLET SAGA--I laughed so hard.

cheri

Laura January 28, 2010 at 5:23 AM  

I think we really are programmed to hybernate but we are forced by society to go against our nature.
I use the term puttering often when people ask me what I am doing.
Thanks for becoming a follower at my blog, I look forward to seeing what spring brings your way.

Martha January 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM  

Lovely post, don't hibernate, Decorate! Love it! Thank you dear Cindy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP