Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm Addicted

I have a new addiction. Nothing serious really. And it is fun. It's a perfect solution for a homebody and allows one to deal in trash and treasures from the comfort of  home during the cold season. What is occupying some of my time? Etsy!

Most of you know that Etsy is an online avenue to sell and buy handmade and vintage merchandise. I casually took the plunge and listed a few things to
sell at the end of 2009. I chose Shop At Lakewood (see right sidebar) for the name of my online presence. 

Since January has arrived and it is the down season for auctions and flea markets, I have devoted some of my time to immerse myself in vintage, antiques, and handmade at Etsy. I go window shopping and there is so much to see. I mark my favorites and I'm inspired by the ingenuity of others.

As the former owner of a brick and mortar country store and of a gift shop...Etsy is heaven sent!!! The expense of time and money put into a physical location can drain you. On Etsy, I can buy and sell and never leave my home.

I'm just now starting to develop an online presence and it is a humble beginning for me. I had over 30 people visit my store the other day (don't laugh) and realized that it was rare to get that many people through the doors of my physical locations on a daily basis unless it was seasonal or for special events.

What is fun is to see what people will look at within your shop and what they are interested in buying. My first sale was a teacup that I was afraid to list. It was such a misfit...the artist didn't paint it correctly, it had defects when made, and the glazing was a mess. I mentioned all of the above in the description and stated it was up for adoption and needed a good home. It sold!

The other day I listed an old wooden, carved dough bowl. Very primitive, but cool. I then checked my shop to see how it looked and to see if I needed to make any changes. My wooden bowl was missing. Shoot...did all that work and lost it? Then I discovered that someone bought it. What?!? That quickly someone found it, liked it, and paid for it. Now do you see why I'm addicted?

Nothing brings me more pleasure than bonding with others over trash and treasures. I will be adding more vintage items to my shop and hope to soon start working on handmade items. So many ideas, so little time.

How about you...do you Etsy?

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

10 Blessed Comments:

Chatty Crone January 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

Not yet, but I have bought from it. GOod luck. sandie

ClassyChassy January 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Congrats on your sales, and welcome to the wonderful world of etsy!!!

Andrea January 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Love finding those awesome treasures.
Hugs,
andrea

Maureen January 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

I'm with you. Etsy is fun. It's like selling from your closet! I jumped in a few months ago and it's always a surprise when something sells because it just sells itself.

I hope Shop @ Lakewood is wildly successful. Congratulations and good luck!

Gwen January 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Congrats on your sale! or is that sales now?

I have been an etsy shopper for quite awhile now, but have been thinking of opening a store for my jewelry. Still working on taking better photos and such though.

Jane January 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Hi Cindy,
I have purchased on etsy but I have not sold anything. I'm thinking about it because my pile of "stuff" is getting out of control.
I have sold quite a bit on ebay over the years and get so excited when something I find and buy turns a little profit on ebay. Keeps me interested in the thrill of the hunt.
Congratulations on your etsy shop. Continued success.
Jane

Wood N Goods January 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Welcome to Etsy! Your shop is beautiful! I love the fact that people from all over the country and world can see my creations in my etsy shop. It makes the world a smaller place. :)

The imPerfect Housewife January 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

I think I'll try and bond with my kids over trash, think that'll work?? I'm sure your trash is nothing but treasure ~ so adorable. ♥

Martha January 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

I love etsy and shop there frequently. Thanks, Cindy.

Alma-Zulema January 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

I've never shopped @ Etsy before, but I will have to have a look. I've heard great things about it! Best of luck on your sales. I will be sure to stop by. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP