Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baking, Booze, and the Bowdabra

What does baking, booze, and the bowdabra have in common? Coming up with any ideas? No? Well I don't drink while I'm baking. And for those of you who don't know what a bowdabra is...it's a thingy that helps you make bows. So what do these three things have in common? Answer: the potential for you to be the Martha Stewart in your neighborhood. Yep, that is what my neighbor called me and she is tough competition with her blond hair and all! Who would have thought, that is all you need to be Martha Stewart...baking, booze, and a bowdabra!



It all started when I needed to come up with a Christmas gift for my neighbors. Baking is always the first thing that comes to mind, but that is so boring. I just needed to jazz it a bit so I chose a recipe that is easy and something not really Christmasy.




Enters the booze. Not any booze, but good old Jim Beam, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. I live in bourbon country here in Kentucky. Now Jim Beam, to me, is a man's drink. But let me tell you ladies...it is a great accessory for a woman to have in the kitchen. It adds the right flavor to many dishes and desserts.



So out come my Kentucky cookbooks and my collection of area recipes. And hands down, it had to be thoroughbred pie. Even sounds like a winner, doesn't it? Now there are many versions and many names to this pie...including derby pie (trademarked) and Kentucky pie.

The recipe I used is from a newspaper clipping and here it is for your file...

THOROUGHBRED PIE
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
Beat eggs with completely cooled butter. Add flour and sugar. Beat until mixed well. Gently fold in pecans, chocolate, and bourbon. Add mixture to your pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 30  minutes ( it sets up more upon cooling).



And that is it! So easy! Now the bowdabra comes into play. I came upon this little baby when I owned a gift basket shop. Bows...I made hundreds of bows. It's the easiest, fastest, and cheapest solution to bedazzle those gifts you give. Make your bow and pull out your favorite embellishments and go for it.

To give your pie as a gift, you can buy the tin foil pie pans with the disposable lids or buy thrifty pie plates throughout the year and wrap with cello or box them up. I used the tin foil pie pans, wrapped ribbon around them and added the bow on top.

Unfortunately...I was in a hurry and took no pictures!!! I know, I know. I'm still new at this blogging thing and when I get to my one year anniversary, maybe then I'll be seasoned enough to always remember that the blog comes first...or close to it!

Just wondering...are there any Martha Stewart's out there who bake with booze?

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

9 Blessed Comments:

Maureen January 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Oh Martha! You.cracked.me.up! Your title certainly caught my eye.

Then I scrolled down and saw Thoroughbred Pie. Thoroughbred? Please tell me that no horse was present in the making of this pie. LOL! I don't really bake but I do have a couple of recipes that require booze. A chicken casserole with vermouth (the only time I've ever tasted vermouth and this dish is delish) and a pot roast with red wine.

Lisa @ Another Day Today January 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

I don't think I've ever baked with booze, but I made a Barefoot Contessa coq au vin!

And I have a wonderful recipe to make Orange Creamsicle Liquer ;)

I've never heard of a Bowdabra - I think I need one!!!

Jane January 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

Hi there, thanks for visiting Finding Fabulous the other day! You know my mother's people are from Ky...London, Ky to be exact. And I'm from just up North, Cincinnati! What a great recipe that is. Your cookbook looks just like the one I use that my aunt wrote. I think Ky recipes are some of the best recipes around. Thankd for sharing!

sweetpicklesandchocolate January 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Well that pie just must have been deelicious Martha!

I've used cooking sherry before...does that count?

I'm definately putting this recipe in my file so I can be Martha next year!
Dena

ClassyChassy January 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

I've sprinkled in some wine when crock pot cooking....does that count??? Interesting pie recipe - it might just be a good one - as it's named after a horse breed!!! Just my style!

Nezzy January 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Hummmmm, a pie with a kick! This Ozarks farm chick has never had pie with booze in it.

I've put beer in pancakes and chili....does that count. Shhhhh, don't tell...I use it on my roses too.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Mom January 5, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

I put a tablespoon of Jim Beam in my pecan pies I took to beth's for thanksgiving this year! Grandma R. would have a fit!

Tootsie January 6, 2010 at 12:47 AM  

what a great post! Martha!!! lol
I look forward to many more fun visits this year...
that does make me realize...I have never cooked with booze before...I have drank my fair share tho...does that count? lol

Lori E January 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

Ummmm I did notice the bottle was empty, I'm just saying.
Been doing a lot of cooking and baking have we?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP