Friday, December 11, 2009

You've Heard, Haven't You...



...I'm sure you did! It's cool, it's hip, and very trendy!



And it all revolves around the good old Christmas tree and the Christmas tree farms. You usually go out and pick your tree. You pay for it and take it home. You set it up, make it pretty, and stand back to admire your work. Then after the holidays, the tree is no more. It is discarded. How sad is that? 



The new scenario is that after you pick out your tree and pay for it, the tree can become a part of your family's tradition. How? The new twist is that you can adopt your tree. The Christmas tree farm delivers to you a live tree with roots intact and they return after the holidays to take the tree back to the farm. That traditional Christmas tree can become part of your family by returning every holiday season. That's right. You can name it. You can watch it grow over the years. You can make it yours with more than just the ornaments. You can look forward to it returning every year.



This, to me, is huge and so innovative. I wish I thought of it. I've always wanted a Christmas tree (or a pumpkin) farm. When our children were young and at home, it was a tradition to go to a tree farm every year. The quest was to find the perfect tree. It pained me to cut down a tree, but we had no place to plant one so the option of getting one with roots was not possible.



We now have an artificial Christmas tree. It is not the same. And I've discovered that it is not good for the environment. Artificial trees contain toxins and are not biodegradable. Unfortunately, artificial trees are manufactured mainly outside of the US. Live trees are beneficial if the process is done correctly. Did you know that an estimated 32 million Christmas trees are sold in the US every year? Our landfills become overcrowded when those trees are discarded. And those dying trees release greenhouse gasses as they decompose.



I think it is wonderful to have a new option. It's important to be responsible and make informed choices that are environmentally sound. And what fun...some farms include elves with that delivery. Imagine the excitement of young children waiting for Santa's elves to personally come to their house with the official Christmas tree?!?! Now that can be a memorable tradition!



We all need to be responsible so everyone can have a Green Christmas!
And if I ever decide to have a Christmas tree farm with elves that deliver...you'll be the first to know! ;)



Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

12 Blessed Comments:

My Grama's Soul December 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Truer words were never said!

I might add, you certainly have had beautiful trees over the years.

Blessings to you,

Jo

Darla December 11, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

What a great idea...who thinks of all this stuff? Your trees are/were so pretty!

Its So Very Cheri December 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

What a great idea till the tree doesn't fit in your house any more-hee hee. We used to cut a tree every year too and now have a fake.

When you head to my blog can you please check to see if you are a subscriber-I am getting messages every day that people are not receiving my posts in their reader.

Cheri

Maureen December 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

What a great idea! I feel fortunate that the town I live in collects the trees and runs them through a chipper. You have to make sure that there is not a scintilla of tinsel left on it. They then use it as mulch and composting.

Andrea December 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Oh, my hubby takes the trees after Christmas and they use them in the lake for fish. I can't think of what you call it, but they are definitely being recycled this way...used back in the environment.
Blessings,andrea

alittlefrenchloven December 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

What a wonderful idea! And isn't it amazing how things change through the years. Like your pic of the tree and the baby stroller... I was born in 76 (sounds ancient to my kids). THanks for sharing!

{ L } December 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!!! I want to do it. What a special and amazing idea. I'm searching now, lol. THANK YOU for telling us about this. :D By the way, it was so fun to see your tree timeline.

Charlene December 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

In SW Louisiana they use the cut trees in the swamps for fish and also for land reclamation.

I don't do "real" anymore since the year mine got so dry by Christmas that I was afraid to turn the lights on--and that was with water added to the tree stand every day.

Good idea about the living tree.

Chatty Crone December 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Okay - I didn't know about artificial trees being toxic. I would think they would have been good since you don't buy one every year. Thanks for the information.

The Christmas tree replanted is a good idea too. You could bury them in your yard too if you could dig a hole.

And yes, I am Chatty - i don't usually do three blogs!

Its So Very Cheri December 11, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

I love all your vintage ornaments too.

So what is just around the corner for you?

I have no idea what is up with Google. I talked to them last week and they said the follower wasn't working right --for everyone but they said subscriptions show up immediately but obviously they are veru wrong.

Who knows where my numbers would be if everyone was getting my info.

Cheri

The imPerfect Housewife December 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

I have NEVER heard of that but I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!!!! Your pictures are just priceless. What a great idea. I'm so glad you shared that ~ have a great weekend ~ ♥

Amy December 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

Thank you for sharing your pictures over the years of your Christmas trees. So wonderful to see what has changed in the house and how the tree were decorated differently each year. We are a real christmas tree family and I know the older we get the harder it is to cut them down. I'm hoping when it's not possible for us to anymore we'll still have a fresh table top. I too have mixed feelings about ending a trees life but over the years my husband and I have planted many new trees that I know the number of those new trees out weigh the number of trees we have cut down. I enjoy your blog and I'll be following. Thank you for visiting me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP