Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What Do You Value?



MY TOP TEN



1. Gardening to produce fresh and healthy foods


2. Turning trash into treasures


3. Saving energy & becoming earth friendly


4. Experimenting in the kitchen to entice the taste buds


5. Making our house a home & a haven


6. Connecting and playing with nature


7. Creating and crafting


8. Becoming self-reliant by making soap & such


9. Participating in fun with the family


10. Educating myself & hopefully others


My 'top ten' are values that I try to incorporate into my life as much as possible. As the end of the year is coming upon us, I am beginning to reflect on the choices we do or do not make in life. Many of us think we need to make new year's resolutions. I do not anymore. They are more of a band aid. Instead of trying to tackle an issue with a resolution, why not focus on what you value in life. Choose your lifestyle.

For example, let's say I want to lose weight. Most people wait until the start of the new year and make it a resolution. Can we say failure? Can we say short lived? Can we say that it will probably be a resolution that will reappear another year? You probably noticed that I don't have weight or even health listed within my top ten. Do I value them? You bet! So let's look at my list again and see where they fit in.

Number 1 is gardening-do you realize how much work it is and the calories I can burn when it comes to gardening? Quite a workout all on its own. Plus when you eat fresh foods instead of processed, it affects your weight and health in a positive way.

Number 2 is turning trash into treasures-hobbies and keeping busy is good for your mental health. And when I pick up curbside finds, who needs to work out with weights?

Number 3 is saving energy-and I'm not talking about mine personally. Saving energy takes a little more effort than just aimlessly going through life. It's all about responsibility. Being earth friendly affects our health so we need to be responsible for the choices we make.

Number 4 is the experience of being in the kitchen-this is where it all happens with what goes into our mouths. I really don't go out to eat anymore. I don't feel that good after eating restaurant food. And what about all those calories? My body lets me know what is acceptable and what is not. Sometimes we need to listen to what our bodies are telling us.

Number 5 is working in and on my home-we know that we can put in as little or as much as we want. When I had a career, my home was not a priority. It is now which helps to reduce my stress and improve my attitude.

Number 6 is being outside and taking it all in. Appreciate what the good Lord has given us. Go out and play again and see things through the eyes of a child. Play burns calories and fresh air is good for you!

Number 7 is creating-if you create and craft, you know of the natural high from it and the satisfaction of doing something yourself.

Number 8 is being self-reliant-making your own products to reduce toxins will provide better health. Rely on your own resources.

Number 9 is all about family-become active with them instead of going to a club/gym where you spend good money and workout by yourself. Enjoy walks, biking, etc.

Number 10 is education-life is always a learning process. I learn so many new and creative ideas from my blog friends that have really improved my life.

And where do my beliefs and my spirituality fit in? They are there...in every single value and choice I make.

I challenge you to not make any resolutions this year. Determine your 'top ten'  so you may be blessed with your value based choices this coming year and for many years to come.  

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy 

3 Blessed Comments:

Jane December 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Cindy,
I loved your post. Very wise words my friend!!
Jane

Chatty Crone December 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

I really liked your top ten - so different then I've seen before AND how you tied it into the other issues like health.

One thing I want to do is leave the world just a little better - you could use these same top ten. I also hope I instill that in my kids and grandkids that habit so it continues on.

{ L } December 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Excellent post and WELL said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP