Monday, November 2, 2009

Stop Whining...



Just some random thoughts on the troubles so many are facing today. I, myself, try to keep things in perspective as much as possible. When my girls were teenagers and would whine (which did not happen often) about something, they would get the 'short' lecture of "Do you have two arms? (Yes) Do you have two legs? (Yes) Do you have cancer or any other disease? (No) Okay then." So I must continue my own lecture for myself while I admire the women around me who have strength and seem to endure.

The company where Tool Man (hubby) works just laid off more people last week. A company of over 200 is now down to 5o. If the economy does not get better very soon, the plant where Tool Man is employed will close. If that is the case, I'm not sure what we will do. You see, this has already happened to us before. We barely survived the first time. 

It was a bad week when it happened. I owned a gift shop and franchise. I was closing my doors after struggling for two years after 9/11. The economy changed very drastically then. As I was packing in defeat, we received a call that my mother-in-law was sick. Tool Man quickly went back to our home state, where she passed away. I threw the rest of my shop in boxes, made arrangements, and went to be with family. I became ill during the funeral and shortened my trip so I wouldn't be a burden and because I couldn't get through to my doctor back home. Later I found out my doctor's cancer returned (after having a mastectomy a few years earlier). She quickly left her practice to be with her husband and two young girls.

When Tool Man returned home and went back to work that Monday, he was given the news that his plant would soon close. They decided to move to China. So we faced closing my business, him losing his job, the death of my mother-in-law, me getting sick, and cancer returning to a person I truly admired all in ONE week.

That was a lot of stress. Yet as we may go through the possible loss of employment again, I look and reflect on the lives of other women I would like to share with you. 

Mary-She lives a very basic life and is a hard worker. She was one of those let go from the company on Friday. She cried as she told Tool Man that she could find another job. She did not think she could find such good friends as him and the others. I still worry about her and for her.

Audra-I met her recently while we were doing volunteer work. She has a twelve year old son. She has a twelve year old son who the doctors say will never progress past the capacity of a one year old. And like any mother who truly loves her child, she says the doctors are wrong. He is in a wheelchair, does not speak, wears diapers, and has health problems. She did get a little teary eyed when she told me her husband just went totally blind. This is a beautiful woman in her thirties and she is doing volunteer work. I waited until I got in my car to cry.

Susan-She is my former doctor who was just too cool for words. I was so happy to find her. Then cancer came and put her as the patient, not the doctor, fighting for her life. She went through removing the cancer only for it to reappear and take over her life.  

Linda-My sister-in-law saved many children as a critical care nurse. She passed away within the last year and left behind a 19 year old son with no parents. Linda's husband died of cancer when my nephew was only a baby. My nephew never had the opportunity to know his father and now his mother is also gone. I miss Linda. 

I hope this post is not a downer. I want to put it in perspective. There is always someone in need more so than ourselves. I just want all of us to quit focusing on what we don't have and on what we do have. After all...is it not the month of November, the month to be thankful?


Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

13 Blessed Comments:

Donna November 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

A very poignant post, Cindy... We can all find so much to be thankful for in our lives. Thank you for visiting me... I'm glad you were able to enjoy some New England foliage through my window :)... Donna

Jane November 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Cindy,
Your post did put things in perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.
Jane

Mom November 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

wow - i am finally able to log in! (Although it identifies me as mom - apparently this is the log-in ID I use to comment on Brent's blogs!) Your post reminds me of a proverb I'll always be thankful dad taught me and I think of it often. "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." hmmm, apparently I was a whiner too? maybe still am?

Happy Cottage Quilter November 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

There are so many situations like this. My BFF has a young (30yo) daughter who was diagnosed with breast cancer while she was carrying her 5th baby. She has undergone chemo, and is scheduled to a double mastetomy on Dec 4. After her recovery she will undergo radiation treatments. It's been hard on her, but she is trusting in God to help her through this difficult time. We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we do know Who holds tomorrow.

Maureen November 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Life really is about perspective. When you look back on all you have been through you might not be able to say how you managed to make it through it all, you just know that you did. By putting one foot in front of the other.

My father-in-law (who has been gone for over 20 years) was a "tough" guy and one day he said something to me that has stuck with me ever since. He said "You can complain that your shoes are old and tattered but if you look around you, you will see someone who has no feet or legs.". Words to remember.

Amo November 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

I love this post!!! I needed to read this post! Thanks for writing it! I'm sorry you went through such hard times. It is a tough time for us all, although that doesn't make it any easier. Thanks for reminding us all to be thankful this month of November!

ClassyChassy November 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

Yes, there is always someone that is worse off. You are correct. And, you will make it, you will be just fine. And so will I. Things always work out, in one way or another. It will work out. Look UP!

Sandy aka Doris the Great November 3, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

A great post today. I remind my kids AND myself of these things whenever the whining starts. One of the things that keeps things in perspective for me is that I volunteer at a local foodbank every 2nd Friday. No matter how tough things look for me, I know there are many who have it so much worse. God bless them!

I'd like to share something else with you which really impacted me and continues to help me: Lump in your oatmeal! Lump in your throat! Lump in your breast! Which one is worth worring about?

Nezzy November 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

We can do so much just by turning our problems into blessings. No matter what we are up against we can ALWAYS find someone we can be a blessing to. This Ozarks farm chick thrives on random acts of kindness. I'm a simple girl, it's just a cheap thrill for me. Thanks for centering my day.

Ya'll have yourself a wonderfully blessed day!!! :o)

Chatty Crone November 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

You are absoultely right - there may be a lot wrong - but there is always a lot right and we have to work daily at looking for it!

Charlene November 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

I try to remind myself sometimes of a saying I heard, "You can be pitiful or you can be powerful. You choose."

Martha November 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Prayers to all your lost loved ones and their families that miss them so.
Thank you for reminding me to Not Only Count My Blessings, but work, abide, and live in A State Of Grace. Blessings and My Sincere Sympathy on your losses and my best to your hubby and his job.

Terra November 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

Oh my, this post gives me pause as you describe folks going through difficulties.
I want to share here a Bible verse I find very meaningful today, and hope it will help someone.
"Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." 3 John 2

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP