Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm Late With My Update!



I'm late with my monthly update. I'm late because things happen. If you check yesterday's post...you will see that some things needed to be addressed before moving on. I want to thank everyone for your comments. Just like a good slice of pie for dessert, we all need a good dose of perspective on what is important. Sometimes all it takes is a moment of sharing and an encouraging word.

Now for my random thoughts on my top ten for this month...

1. Gardening - Yes, my gardening season is over even though I am picking beautiful, sweet raspberries from the three plants my sister shared with me this summer from her garden in Ohio. Have you ever considered the history and the heritage of something as simple (and complex) as a plant? The raspberries in my sister's garden have been passed onto her from an Uncle who was a family friend. He was known for his gardening and making wine from his grapes and raspberries. I have good memories of his garden. And now I am part of the continuous chain of creating a legacy and planting some roots from others' endeavours. I see myself sharing these raspberry plants with my daughters someday. What heritage are you passing on?   


2. Turning Trash into Treasures - The garage is a treasure trove right now. I'll be choosing items over the winter months to give them a new life. This ties in with number 5 of turning our house into a home and a haven. No money down or monthly payments! Just some imagination, good old elbow grease, and some paint! Do you have anything that is crying out for some TLC?


3. Saving Energy & Becoming Earth Friendly - The weather has become too cold too quickly for my liking. This is one place that I really strive to save when it comes to energy-heating and cooling. I do turn on the heat in the mornings to take off the chill as it has been in the 30's and 40's when we get up. Currently I don't run the heat during the evening. No need to if we are buried under warm blankets and fuzzy cats!


4. Experimenting in the Kitchen - Cold weather makes one turn to the warmth of fantabulous foods in the kitchen. Now that November is here, I enjoy going through cookbooks and my thoughts have turned to baking cookies. And some more cookies. I will keep it slim and trim this year and not overdo it. I am not hosting a holiday meal this year so cutting back in the kitchen saves time, energy, money, and calories! Anyone already on a diet? 


5. Making Our House a Home & a Haven - It actually feels good to have many projects to keep myself busy over the winter months. For now, I will concentrate on transforming a closet into an office area. Pictures and posts soon to follow.


6. Connecting & Playing with Nature - Capturing the colors of fall through photography is one of my favorite things to do. Our peak season just ended. So now is the time to rake, and rake, and rake some more. All the leaves will be mulched for my garden.


7. Creating & Crafting - I'm exploring new creative crafting techniques to find my niche. I haven't been crafting on a continuous basis for years so it will be a new learning experience for me. My problem is to narrow down my choices and not overdo. The object is to enjoy! 


8. Becoming Self-Reliant - Neglect...serious neglect. Besides building up my pantry, I am ashamed to admit that no other effort has been made to address this issue. Did I not learn from last winter's storm with no heat or electricity?!? We are becoming more self-reliant in more subtle ways. But seriously, we must acquire a heating source for emergencies.


9. Family Fun - It's official. We will be spending Thanksgiving in PA with my daughter and her husband. She was married this past spring and is willing to play the hostess for both sides of the family. I'm so looking forward to the visit. Her in-laws are now our extended family. 

10. Educating Myself & Others - I continue to share with and learn from others in blogland. Starting in January, I will be hosting Creative Cafe, a radio talk show. I will post more on this later this week as it needs a whole post on its own. I'm looking forward to some of you being a part of this. I can't do it alone, you know! :)

November...a time to celebrate our blessings!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

7 Blessed Comments:

Martha November 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Thank you so much for this Wonderful Post! I am going to print it out and put it on my bulletin board. I appreciate it and Thank you again.
Thank you also for your comment today, my feelings Exactly!
Greetings from Los Angeles.

ClassyChassy November 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Busy Busy. You have more than enough on your plate - and a radio talk show? Do you need a broadcasting license, producer, etc. to do that? Hmmmmm.

Jane November 3, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

I enjoy reading your monthly lists. All great ideas.
Thanksgiving should be a lot of fun with your daughter and extended family...enjoy!
Jane

GARAGE SALE GAL November 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Thanks for the "Stop Whinning" post :) There are blessings all around us if we just open our eyes.
You have a good list.
Deb :)

Maureen November 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Oh Cindy - what a great post! As I read it I was thinking "Hey - she's writing for me!".

1. Gardening - the whole circle of life, from seed to seedling to plant to fruit. It just amazes me. Heirloom veggies - so fascinating. (I actually have a gardening blog too.)

2. T to T - check

3. check 4. - check ......

10. Hosting a radio show? How awesome is that!! High five to you! I will be a fan. Count me in! Can't wait to hear more!

Maggie B November 4, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Hi Cindy,
Sounds like the winter months will fly by whilst you tick (check) things off your list.
I'll be coming back to hear more about your radio show, for sure.
Maggie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP