Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Memorable Time

I just had to share what a true craftin' fool mama I truly was in 'the day'. I could make do with nothing. This is a picture of the costumes I made for my daughters in the early 80's when the Smurfs were really popular.



I did not have a pattern and I never attempted anything like this before. I repeat...never. I was determined to come up with something spooktacular spectacular and no money invested. That's right...I was always cheap frugal.
I pulled out my glue gun, scissors, and scraps.

The heads were made with leftover carpet foam/padding. I cut it up and hot glued it together to form the heads. I used three old housecoats in red and blue to form the bodies and clothing. Some quick sewing involved.

Again...these costumes cost me zero dollars! Aren't my girls (now married women) cute? You don't have to have much in order to give to your children. Give them your time, love, and devotion.

Give them 'you' so they will have a memorable life!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy 

7 Blessed Comments:

Mimi October 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

Those are adorable little Smurfette outfits!

Jane October 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Cindy,
Those are the cutest outfits!!! I love them. I made all of my stepson's halloween outfits in the late 80's. My personal favorite at the time was the Mario outfit (from Mario Bros. Ninendo game). I think I still have that costume somewhere!
Happy Halloween.
Jane

ClassyChassy October 31, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

Time spent doing things for and with the children when they are small build great memories for you all! Super costumes, and such creativity!

Cindy November 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Those were GREAT! My mama used to make our costumes too, using what she had on hand whenever possible.
Thanks for you comments on my blog :o)

Its So Very Cheri November 1, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

How sweet--it's really all about the memories.

How is your radio show going? We ended up in Missouri for 3 weeks with sick kids and just got home on Friday.

Cheri

The imPerfect Housewife November 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

You've got to be kidding me - you made those with zero dollars?? YOU GO GIRL!!!! I used to make the costumes but it cost me an arm and a leg. Those are absolutely adorable! ♥

Maureen November 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Ahhhh...what a little ingenuity can accomplish. They are absolutely awesome. And you used carpet!!

I used to make my kids costumes and I loved it. Now they're all grown and I miss it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP