Monday, October 19, 2009

It's Your Party & I'll Cry If I Want To

Danger, danger...I'm heading into overwhelm mode. Parties, parties, everywhere. Online get-togethers are the rage, are fun, and can be encouraging in blogland. But how many can one person physically participate in? I want to do them all...



I found two new parties this morning. They fit in with what I do and what I am trying to achieve. If I spend the day participating, how can I actually accomplish anything except being a party girl? You know how it was when you were younger. You had to have your homework done and your chores completed. Then, and only then, could you attend 'the' party. And no, you could not spend the whole weekend partying. What kind of girl are you anyway? Only bad girls party to the max.

So do you have your housework done? How about that neat little project that you would like to tackle that you found at one of these parties? How many hours have quickly disappeared because of your enjoyment of visiting others? This can suck you in and become addicting, can't it! And it all feels so good.

Information overload can paralyze a person. Trust me, I did it in the real world. I came back home to plant some roots here at Lakewood (my home) and to simplify my life. Now it is becoming a tad complex for me. See, when I join a party, I feel it is my responsibility to visit every participant possible and leave a comment. Those are the rules, the expectations, and common courtesy and etiquette in blogland. It is amazing how many do not do that. I can probably count on one hand how many people take the time to visit everyone. The sweeties, they know who they are. And yet it can be exhausting. I know. I decided to take a break last time and not visit everyone. Guess what? My numbers were down.

So what is my real goal? I would like to find balance in blogland just as I am striving for in the real world. What is the answer? I'm not sure. So I'm throwing it out there whether you host, participate, or visit others with/without comments. What is your future in blogland...friends, fame, and/or fortune? Your thoughts please!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

8 Blessed Comments:

Martha October 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

Thoughtful post, dear Cindy. I try to keep a balance in blogland and find just like IRL, I have some friends I visit with all the time, some occasionally, and others just a few times a year for special occasions. My goals for blogging including friendship and expanding my horizons by learning about others and in turn sharing my experiences. I am glad I found you in blogland, always lovely in Lakewood.

Farmgirl Cyn October 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

Comments are always nice, and much appreciated, but I have blogged for over 4 years and there were times I had one or maybe two comments! And those were from my closest friends!
So...as nice and welcome as they are, I blog for ME! I have a huge amt. of blogs I visit, but I don't get there every day, or even every week! There are a few I visit daily, but only a few. Can't be all things to all people, and I DO have a life outside blogland!!!
That being said...there have been days where i have sat at the computer for hours, just getting into the cooking blogs, or the design on a dime blogs, or the homemaker blogs! I have made a lot of friends here, and if you want to keep your friends, you have to work at it!
Very though-provoking post today!

Jane October 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM  

Cindy...I really enjoyed reading your post because I too feel so overwhelmed at times with creating and posting and commenting. I do try to comment on most of the blogs when I participate in a party but between home life and work it does get difficult. I have my favorites that I keep up on daily....these are the gals (you are in this group) that I feel I have connected with in blogland. I do need to have a balance with this because I really enjoy my blog....I just don't want it to become another job!
Take care,
Jane

ClassyChassy October 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

I visit most blogs most days, leave a comment when I have something to say...life can become too complex to do otherwise, and blogs and facebook can eat away at the clock daily, if you let them. For what it is worth, that's my 2 cents! Have a great rest of the day!

The imPerfect Housewife October 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

I'd say I agree with Martha 100% (above). Some blogs are out to make this their career, and more power to 'em, but then their blogs almost become like work and it's no fun to visit because they're always pushing something!! I'm in it for fun and fellowship and when it gets to be too much, I'll have to take a break. GREAT post ~ ♥

Amo October 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

It does get quite overwhelming. There have been days at a time where I cannot read anyone's blogs because I don't have the time. If I do visit a blog, I leave a comment almost every single time. I like to give comments, and I like getting them. I just have to remember that I am blogging b/c I enjoy it and to not put too many rules on it b/c then, it isn't enjoyable anymore. It becomes just another stress that I don't need.

The DIY Show Off October 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

Great post...makes me stop to think. I blog for fun. I enjoy making new friends, making others feel 'famous' and keeping a journal of my own projects. I have so many blogs that I love to visit and parties to 'go to'. I just do what I can when I have the time. :) Your post was a good reminder to keep it fun. Thanks!

Roeshel

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage October 22, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

Cindy,
I sooo know what you mean. At one time I did a different party (with a different post) every. single. day. Then trying to visit all that I could on those lists. It was tiring! Now I only do a couple a week and limit myself to about a dozen or so in the party (except my own Transformation Thursday). If I HOST a party, then I should see everyone, if I attend a party, then I go see a good handful and move on. If you were at a REAL party with 200 people, would you feel obliged to have a lengthy conversation with every single person? That's the balance I found a few months ago.

And, yes, I even skip out on many of the "big ones" because I don't think my readers (wonderful folks like yourself) want to see my throwing my hat in the ring every day.
But... if you don't take time to do other things, what on earth would you blog about? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP