Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Help...I Need Glaze


I need glaze to use on a few projects. I went to Home Depot and the man looked at me as if I was from Mars. You could tell he wished he hadn't even asked me if he could help me. Never heard of it before he says...okay you must be new. I'll give you some slack and go to Lowe's. Bye-bye!

At Lowe's it was not much better. I went up and down the aisles like I was in a maze. I looked around and there was no one to help me. Maybe the guy at Home Depot called Lowe's and warned them a real doozy was headed their way. They scattered in fear.

Now I had some name brands with me that I saw in some magazines. How hard can that be? Is it because I'm in KY? Surely not! I also went online and then became confused. All I want to do is use the glaze over some painted projects to tone them down and give them some character. I would like a brown glaze. Really, not too much to ask.

So I'm asking! What is your favorite brand of glaze and where is the best place to get it? I prefer insist on a decent price also. Again, not too much to ask! So what glaze do you use?

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

7 Blessed Comments:

The imPerfect Housewife October 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

Oh honey, I wouldn't know where to begin - and I don't even work at Home Depot or Lowes! Your comment cracked me up - "Is it because I'm in KY?" Yes, I'm just SURE that's it - I've read in encyclopedias that Kentucky is known to be glaze-less. Here's what I'd do - go to the website of the magazine ads for those glazes you found in there and ask them to give you a store locator where you might be able to find them. Hope that helps and I hope you're having a good day ~ ♥

Martha October 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

My husband uses polyurethane which you can tint with min wax stains.
Good Luck!

Brenda October 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

Have you tried a craft store. I think I bought a container a few years ago in the aisle that has the paints and stencils in them. Sorry I don't have it anymore I must have used it up. And I think it had the brown in it.

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood October 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Okay...
The imPerfect Housewife-You are hilarious! Sometimes I do have to go to the big city cause we are behind the times around here. I may have to post about it sometime.
Martha-I'll have to look and see what we already have. I know we have some stains and considered trying that route.
Brenda-I didn't think about a craft store. We now have a Michael's! :)
Thanks Ladies,
Cindy

Miss Mustard Seed October 6, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

I am a professional decorative painter, so I can tell you some things I use. There are several ways to glaze and you can get everything you need at Wal-Mart. A very simple, one step way to add an antique glaze to a piece of furniture is to use furniture stain. I prefer MinWax Dark Walnut stain. Apply it in small areas with a sponge brush and wipe it off quickly with a rag. A second option is to purchase glazing medium (which you can buy in a gallon can from Wal-Mart for about $15.00.) Mix it in a plastic cup and tint it with acrylic paints (burnt umber for brown or any color you want.) You can brush it on and rub it off or just rub it on. Please send me an e-mail if you have any other painting questions. I hope this helped!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations October 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

The exact same thing happened with me. I went in to Lowes and asked for glaze. He thought I wanted to antique something. I said, that I wanted a glaze to wipe on and then wipe it off, so it stayed in the grooves. I finally did get what I wanted. They must not blog. lol

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage October 7, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Go back to Home Depot and tell them you want Ralph Lauren glaze. It's the only brand they sell. Smoke is a good color if you are looking to age things, it works wonders!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP