Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Decorating



I'm not into Halloween. There, I said it. Please don't stone me. I was wonderful when my girls were little. I always went all out. I made the best costumes and I mean the best. I remember one year when I made them Papa Smurf and Smurfette costumes. I started with foam, fur, and a hot glue gun. I even amazed myself and of course, it was all done for pennies. Everything was recycled from something else. I guess I was green years ago before it even became popular.

I love the month of October and the season of fall. It truly is my favorite even if it is followed by the dreaded cold of winter. I would be more than happy if the winter season only lasted through January 1. Then I think it would be perfect for spring to begin. Hey, it's my blog. I can plan the seasons anyway I want.

So I do not decorate for Halloween, but I do decorate for fall. I keep the scary stuff out. See, real life can sometimes be scary enough. I don't want or need to invite more of it in. I want my surroundings to be comforting and peaceful. Wouldn't it be wonderful to feel warm and fuzzy all the time because of the time and care put towards your home. Halloween decorations cannot do that for me.
   
I do not have fake spiders and webs strung out through the house. Why should I? Believe it or not, I have plenty of the real thing to deal with that putting up fake ones might encourage more of the same to take up residence. And let me tell you, I've had spider bites that are not fun. Bugs just like to bite me and my reaction is to swell up. Oh geez! As I'm writing this, a tiny little spider is on my kitchen floor. We live in the country and I'm surrounded by critters of all sizes and shapes. So who needs to decorate with them when you have the real thing.

Scary movies I do not watch. I have enough problems with anxiety, I don't need to add to it.

Bats and vultures? Um...not to scare you, but we have those in our backyard. Bats are okay as they keep our mosquito population down. That is a good thing since we live on a lake and I have nasty reactions to bites. Now the vultures...I could do without. Have you ever shooed a vulture out of your garden? Dang birds!

Black cats? I have one. Kit Kat came to us two years ago in October and she is a sweetie. She helps keep the mouse population down. This is the month when they find their way into our garage. We have to be proactive before they make it into the house if you know what I mean.

So there we have it. I prefer decorating with the fall's natural harvest as it brings me pleasure. I go into my yard to gather pine cones and acorns. I have a few sunflowers left to put in vases. I have ten pumpkins this year from my little patch. Nature's bounty provides this season's decorating design. What more can I ask for? Nothing. I am thankful for the connection and  appreciate what naturally surrounds me.

Happy Fall!

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy 

9 Blessed Comments:

Charlene October 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

I'm with you--no Halloween for me--I hate spiders, and have to fight spider webs in real life, too-nothing's worse than walking outside and getting a face full of spiderweb--all the while wondering if the little critter is now crawling on you!

Give me some leaves and dry berries and pumpkins anytime!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove October 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

LOL Cindy, I feel the same way! My house is decked out for Autumn but, no Halloween. I had thought of maybe doing some outside stuff for Halloween but, I just don't feel motivatd to do that. I would rather have a few Fall items outside.

As far as cobwebs, I have plenty of them as it is and spiders are trying to get in like crazy with the cold weather heading this way. ghosts and goblins? They can stay hidden in the closets, if they can fit. And while they are there, I would appreciate a little decluttering. It's least they can do!
Have a great Sunday!

Sandy aka Doris the Great October 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

I also don't decorate for halloween but I do for fall. For me, it's a combination of all the reasons you list as well as not wanting to have much to do with witches and goblins, etc. I do, however, always give out treats on halloween night for the kiddies. And because I love bug jewellry, I wear my real amber spider earrings during this month more than any other.

Amo October 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

I love the Scrabble letters that say, "Happy Fall!" So cute and clever! I decorate for both Halloween and fall, but I have a little one in the house, so we are still in the costume years. I agree with you about the spiders, though. I don't like them, don't need them, and don't want reminders of them anywhere in my house, even if they are plastic!

LV October 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

I am not into Halloween as much as was when younger. We always looked to go trick or treat. It was safe back then, and we had fun. Not anymore.

GARAGE SALE GAL October 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

I have just a little Halloween..nothing scary or icky...and it's mostly for my Granddaughter. Love the "natural" fall decorations.
It's your blog and home and you can do what you want!
Deb

Brenda October 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

I feel the same way. I do not decorate for Halloween. I didn't much when my girls were children either. I do like the Wizard of Oz though and collect a few little dolls that mc'ds puts out. I think that is a through back from my childhood though. That would be the scariest thing I watch. That is telling I think. But, I do have a grand daughter that was born on Halloween so we have to participate in it a little. This year my daughter is not going to have anything Halloween at the party which should make our Savannah Banana happy. Happy Fall!

jennifer October 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

Me neither Cindy. I love Fall but we just don't do Halloween around here.

Erin October 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

I have younger children and I do put up Halloween decorations, but I'm with you: NOTHING SCARY. We do silly. As I see it, why invite evil into your home and how is it skeletons are decorators items, anyway?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP