Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September Update



Well, another month has gone by and it feels like the holidays are sneaking upon us already! Stores are putting up their Christmas decorations (big sigh), the weather has gone from the 70's-80's to the 40's-60's, and it is getting too dark too early in the evenings for me. I love the beauty of fall, but have to make a real adjustment to the cold and not enough daylight hours. 
Let's move onto my top ten priorities...

1. Gardening - I just posted that it is time to clean it all up. It looks so sad at the end of the season. I will also be expanding it for next year by prepping it now. That involves tilling, putting newspaper down,  and piling leaves on top. I hope we have a couple of nice, sunny days so it will be more of a pleasant experience. Do you have your garden planned for next year?

2. Turning Trash into Treasures - I've been stockpiling this summer. Nothing is more fun than taking a piece and saying what can I do with this! I've changed some rooms around the house so I can have the room to work on these special projects. I've been inspired by many bloggers and their projects.

3. Saving Energy & Becoming Earth Friendly - I do my part by picking up curbside finds. LOL! It is a shame that people just throw everything to the curb without thinking about it. Read this post about previous thoughts on this subject.

4. Experimenting in the Kitchen - Time for the oven to start working its magic. I opened up a favorite cookbook (among many) yesterday to glance over cakes and cookies. The Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes cookbook has uncomplicated recipes that produce fantabulous results. Check it out on the right under 'My Favorite Picks'. This will be fun to immerse myself into the experience of trying new recipes. No negatives except maybe a few extra pounds and I do have the habit of burning myself. :)

5. Making Our House a Home & a Haven - Okay, this makes me laugh. When you're redoing your house to make it nicer, it has to go through the 'what the heck happened here?!?' stage. We tore out the wall between the kitchen and a tiny, unused bedroom. It has such possibilities, but what a sight it is right now. Tool Man works many, long hours and does not have as much time to work on the house. I do my part, but am no good at wiring, closing in the archway, etc. It will get there.

6. Connecting & Playing with Nature - I enjoy capturing nature through photography. I am no expert, but enjoy trying to capture the perfect moment whether it is a beautiful sunset, a busy bee, or an interesting plant. The color of the fall season will bring new possibilities.

7. Creating & Crafting - Crafting, for me, is not a priority during the summer. I'm outdoors soaking up every bit of nice weather that I can. The colder weather allows plenty of time for the comfort of creating and crafting. I now have a crafting room waiting patiently for me.

8. Becoming Self-Reliant - I do need to work on a few things for possible winter storms. We were not completely prepared last winter when the ice storm took us out of the loop for a week and a half. The main priority is to have emergency heating. I don't like to be cold!
  
9. Family Fun - Believe it or not, the whole family is looking at schedules so we can fit each other in this coming season. It takes some time to figure out how our side, my side, and his side can spend time together. Like most families, we are spread out (KY, OH, PA, FL). It will probably take us November, December, and January to fit everyone in.

10. Educating Myself & Others - I have learned so much from all the other bloggers with whom I've connected. Thank you all. Blogland has many creative and caring people. I will be making an announcement tomorrow on another way for us to connect. It will be an experiment to see if it is a fit for bloggers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
October...here we come!

"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn." - Elizabeth Lawrence

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy  

4 Blessed Comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great September 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Thanks, Cindy, for reminding me to prep for next spring's garden ventures. I'm looking forward to tomorrows blog -- I'm always up for a new adventure!

Brenda September 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Great list. I make a lot of list of things to do. Keeps me on track. We need to get out this evening to pick any peppers, ect. that are left. We are expecting a good frost tonight so we need to empty it out except the pumpkins, gourds and squash. Husband wants to get out there with the tiller and get everything cleaned up also. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note on my blog always great to hear from you!

Jane September 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM  

What a great idea to prioritize what you want to accomplish for the month....I need to start making lists....I've got so many projects going and nothing seems to get finished!!

Becky September 30, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

i have to clean up the garden too and bring in some fill dirt to expand it. Our house was built as a rental with 12" deep gravel from he road to the house in a wide parking area. I hate gravel so I have slowly been shoveling and "landscaping" and building garden and flower beds for 3 years!

I love your list. I can't believe all the wonderful people I "meet" and meet in real life because of blogging. and learning! Wow!! something new virtually every day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP