Well, another month has gone by and it feels like the holidays are sneaking upon us already! Stores are putting up their Christmas decorations (big sigh), the weather has gone from the 70's-80's to the 40's-60's, and it is getting too dark too early in the evenings for me. I love the beauty of fall, but have to make a real adjustment to the cold and not enough daylight hours.
Let's move onto my top ten priorities...
1. Gardening - I just posted that it is time to clean it all up. It looks so sad at the end of the season. I will also be expanding it for next year by prepping it now. That involves tilling, putting newspaper down, and piling leaves on top. I hope we have a couple of nice, sunny days so it will be more of a pleasant experience. Do you have your garden planned for next year?
2. Turning Trash into Treasures - I've been stockpiling this summer. Nothing is more fun than taking a piece and saying what can I do with this! I've changed some rooms around the house so I can have the room to work on these special projects. I've been inspired by many bloggers and their projects.
3. Saving Energy & Becoming Earth Friendly - I do my part by picking up curbside finds. LOL! It is a shame that people just throw everything to the curb without thinking about it. Read this post about previous thoughts on this subject.
4. Experimenting in the Kitchen - Time for the oven to start working its magic. I opened up a favorite cookbook (among many) yesterday to glance over cakes and cookies. The Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes cookbook has uncomplicated recipes that produce fantabulous results. Check it out on the right under 'My Favorite Picks'. This will be fun to immerse myself into the experience of trying new recipes. No negatives except maybe a few extra pounds and I do have the habit of burning myself. :)
5. Making Our House a Home & a Haven - Okay, this makes me laugh. When you're redoing your house to make it nicer, it has to go through the 'what the heck happened here?!?' stage. We tore out the wall between the kitchen and a tiny, unused bedroom. It has such possibilities, but what a sight it is right now. Tool Man works many, long hours and does not have as much time to work on the house. I do my part, but am no good at wiring, closing in the archway, etc. It will get there.
6. Connecting & Playing with Nature - I enjoy capturing nature through photography. I am no expert, but enjoy trying to capture the perfect moment whether it is a beautiful sunset, a busy bee, or an interesting plant. The color of the fall season will bring new possibilities.
7. Creating & Crafting - Crafting, for me, is not a priority during the summer. I'm outdoors soaking up every bit of nice weather that I can. The colder weather allows plenty of time for the comfort of creating and crafting. I now have a crafting room waiting patiently for me.
8. Becoming Self-Reliant - I do need to work on a few things for possible winter storms. We were not completely prepared last winter when the ice storm took us out of the loop for a week and a half. The main priority is to have emergency heating. I don't like to be cold!
9. Family Fun - Believe it or not, the whole family is looking at schedules so we can fit each other in this coming season. It takes some time to figure out how our side, my side, and his side can spend time together. Like most families, we are spread out (KY, OH, PA, FL). It will probably take us November, December, and January to fit everyone in.
10. Educating Myself & Others - I have learned so much from all the other bloggers with whom I've connected. Thank you all. Blogland has many creative and caring people. I will be making an announcement tomorrow on another way for us to connect. It will be an experiment to see if it is a fit for bloggers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
October...here we come!
"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn." - Elizabeth Lawrence
Living it up at Lakewood,