Friday, September 4, 2009

I've Been Robbed

Yep...that's right. I've been robbed! The little thieves took what they wanted with no concern about my feelings. How dare they! Look what they have done!


There's gone...my beautiful sunflowers are gone. I should have named this post 'Squirrels Gone Wild'. We have an abundance of squirrels this season and they are in a flurry of activity preparing for the change of seasons. They have become very annoying.

I have two dogs and the one is a natural born hunter. We do not hunt and we don't even eat meat, but that's another post. Anyhoo, Dale the hunter, has been going nuts, no pun intended, with the bravery or is it the stupidity of all these squirrels and their actions. If they aren't careful...well, I just don't want to see what Dale is capable of. The poor dog has so much pent up aggression toward the furry little critters that tantalize him all day long.


I don't like the squirrels' approach toward my plants. Why can't they be more like the birds gently plucking individual seeds and thoroughly enjoying them and returning later for another treat. Oh no, the squirrels are just plain rude. They will jump on an 8 foot sunflower taking the head to the ground, bite the bloom off, run away with it, and then waste it by eating only a few seeds.

I enjoy watching the birds delight in the sunflowers. But after the squirrel raid, I watched one little bird in total confusion looking for the sunflowers that were no longer there. Poor thing, he was flying in circles. 

I'll still plant sunflowers next year. Those squirrels won't stop me. Now if I could only stop them...

6 Blessed Comments:

Anny September 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Oh that's terrible! I love all my plants and if this happened I would be so upset :(

Becky September 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

I finally outsmarted the squirrels here. I hung all my birdfeeders from the eaves! I get to watch the birds from right here at my desk and because it's 2 stories tall the stinky squirrels can't get to the feeders! Ha! Take that fluffy tailed rats!

Got no clue how to keep sunflowers safe though.

FrugalMom September 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

I'm sorry to hear about your sunflowers. This is how I felt, when the caterpillars took my beautiful summer squash plants, when I was in the hospital for a few days to give birth. When I returned there were only leftovers of the once beautiful plants.

Swampgirl September 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM  

Sorry about your flowers! Mine never made it that far this year. The squirrels or chimpmunks ate the seeds I planted! Then they ate the very few sprouts I had! They were there one day and pulled up the next. They left the stem and leaves- just ate the seed they sprouted from! I had one sunflower that I planted in a pot on the porch!!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) September 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

Oh, those naughty squirrels! I am always fighting off the naughty deer. Have a great day and keep planting those sunflowers, they sure are pretty. Cindy

Leigh of Bloggeritaville September 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Nooooooooooooo!

Hope you had a good Labor Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP