Thursday, September 3, 2009

I'm a Rock Star

I bet you didn't know I was a rock star, did ya!?! Well here I am in all my glory! Ah, to be young again!  And yes, there is a story behind the picture. Isn't there always?


Once upon a time when I was young and thought the sky was the limit, I had the opportunity of a lifetime to visit Hollywood in the 60's. Of course, it was my Grandma S who wanted me to travel west with her and Grandpa. We were going to Disneyland and Hollywood for an extraordinary trip. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Being from small town Ohio and not having much, this was beyond what I could ever imagine.

I remember going to The Hollywood Museum and seeing all the stars in wax. I remember riding on a roller coaster within a mountain at Disneyland. I remember being in awe when visiting Petrified Forest. I remember dancing with Native American Indians. And I remember so much more.

Among the many memories, I still laugh at what had to be my start of collecting and being thrifty at the same time. You see, I thought it would be a good idea to collect a rock from every state we traveled in. And so I did. That made me a rock star. 

Now about that picture? Well, I was caught up in the Hollywood moment. I told Grandma I wanted to be a movie star and I wanted her to take my picture. She had no idea what was about to follow. I put on my cool sunglasses, got a blanket, and posed. I remember her losing her composure and stifling a giggle. I was very serious at the moment and let her know that this was no laughing matter. I suppose it was one of those moments that Grandmothers treasure forever.


So this was the start of my rock star status and  my beginning as a collector all rolled into one. Thanks Grandma S! So let me share my finds this week with you and everyone participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday and Thrifty Thursday.


My thrifty find of the white bird planter cost me $1.00 at a flea market. I snatched it up, brought it home, and combined it with indoor and outdoor treasures I had on hand. I like the end result, don't you?
My vintage find is another (I have others) beloved typewriter that I won at an auction. It came with the case and just needs a good cleaning. Not sure yet if I'll keep it or sell it. My online shop will have its grand opening this month.

So there you have it! Oh, and a big announcement will soon be made here at Lakewood. Please become a follower so you won't miss out. I will do the same and follow you. What fun!  With this new announcement...we could all become rock stars!

25 Blessed Comments:

Joan@anthinggoeshere September 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

I am a rock star too...but my collecting..starting with rocks, of course, isn't as glam as yours.... my rock collecting started in my childhood home's limestone driveway... What a fun post and the cutest picture. Thanks for visiting my blog this morning.

Jane September 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

I am glad to be a follower of a rock star!! I so enjoyed reading your post. I love stories from the past and yours was very entertaining. So how many rocks from how many states did you end up collecting? I love your treasures this week. The cloche is lovely and you know I love old typewriters....we do have a lot in common!! Have a great day.

Katie Kubler September 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog & commenting! I"m just glad that table is done! haha! Be sure to follow so you can see when I post a giveaway coming SOON!Happy blogging!

marian September 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

that typewriter's a little beauty :)

black eyed susans kitchen September 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Such a cute post! Collectors as rock stars? What a concept...seems that your memories of the 60's are happy ones..mine are too.

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood September 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

So happy some of you of made early morning visits. It's funny how some of us collected rocks as kids. And those crazy memories of the 60's!
And Jane...I'm not sure how many rocks I had. I didn't start collecting until we were out west. The collection wasn't as well received once I arrived home! :)
Cindy

Happy Cottage Quilter September 3, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

I love your little birds. They look so sweet in the jar.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Coloradolady September 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

I love your birds, but I so loved that story. How special to have that photo and story to go with it. Great looking photo by the way, grandma had a good eye with the camera!! Have a great weekend and a great VTT!

Barb September 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Hi Cindy,

thanks for coming by;.
I can about guess your typewriter weighs a ton less than mine does! =0)

Cute cloche fix up with those birds.

looking forward to big announcement and to see your store.

blessings and have a super day.

barbara jean

Lisa September 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

What a great story! I remember traveling with my grandparents--they were the best!

Cass @ That Old House September 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Oh what a cute story! Your grandmother must have had such a hard time not laughing out loud!

Love the old typewriter! Those were the days. . . .

Cass

JEWELGIRL September 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Still like to collect rocks especially sparkly ones, that are
cut for jewelry! ha ha!
I will follow you rock star!

Diann @ The ThriftyGroove September 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

What a great memory and wonderful "Hollywood Starlet" moment caught on film! Grandma's are the best!

LV September 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

I am no rock star, but I have been and seen some of those places you have been. I enjoyed seeing some of my favorite stars home. I would not have known if they were for real or some guy making money off dumb me.

mannequin September 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

Yes, yes! I wanna be a rock star too!

When I was in first grade I told a big lie, I told everyone that Zsa Zsa Gabor was my mother and I was just living there to see how other people lived. LOL.

Love the picture and want the typewriter :)

Candace September 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

I love what you did with the planter and they typewriter is so nicely displayed!
Cheers!

Roslyn September 3, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

My boys used to bring me rocks, I still have some of them - the boys are now men !
Sweet planter.

Tootsie September 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Im not a rock star...or a movie star...or a star at all...but I am honored that I got to meet one today!!! lol

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) September 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

I love your cloche and your cool old typewriter! You sound a lot like me, I am sure I must have a bit of ADD myself. Cindy

Sylvia September 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Hey Rockstar...dont you love the old typewriter...my kids have lots of fun trying on it. Thank you for stopping by on my blog and for the nice comments.

Anny September 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

What a sweet and funny story! I love your picture too :)

That bird's nest planter is amazing, things look so much nicer when done in white porcelain.

one gal's trash September 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

You are one snazzy babe! Thanks for stopping by...
Pam

Leigh of Bloggeritaville September 4, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

What a great picture and story! To cute! I LOVE that typewriter! Fabulous! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week, my friend!
Leigh, Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Bea September 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

Great story. I love your movie star picture.

Amy September 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

A wonderful post about your grandmother! It sounds like she was a lot of fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP