Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Country Roots

Where did I get my country roots? Where did I get that love for the good old country life? I write of my Grandmothers' positive influence in my life, but they did not live in the country. As I contemplated my connection this morning , my thoughts led me to my Uncle Jim. Yep, he gave me my country roots.

Every summer, I was sent to the country for a few weeks to be with my Uncle Jim and Aunt Bonnie. They lived in an old house with a big barn, lots of outbuildings, beautiful horses, chickens running around, dogs ready to play, and cats sunning themselves. As I look back on that experience, I realize it was a true gift.

Uncle Jim was cool and I knew it as a kid. He didn't fit the typical, traditional role. He was the morning host of the local radio station and he was popular. He had a down home flair on and off the radio. We would go to the fair and it was like being with a celebrity. Everybody knew him. I do remember that when he was on the air, he even made my Grandma R (his mom) famous because of his talk of family and home life. Uncle Jim and Aunt Bonnie never had much financially, yet they had everything.

Uncle Jim was also 'famous' for his ability with horses. He was a horse whisperer before his time. I had the opportunity to go to a client's farm with him and watch a wild horse go from being mean and unapproachable to being so calm the owner could ride him. Uncle Jim sure had a way with words.

Uncle Jim has passed on, but all the memories are still alive. Writing this blog has helped me discover who I really am and it is a gift...country roots and all.

Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

2 Blessed Comments:

mannequin September 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

It's a wonderful thing about those we love, they truly do become a part of us.
I think I got my love of the country from my grandmother. Visiting her in the hills of W Va., it always felt like coming home. Even though it wasn't really home, I guess my heart was there.
Your uncle sounds wonderful. How nice that he was such a part of your life:)

Becky September 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM  

Awesome remembrances Cindy!

It's certainly a freeing experience this bloggiing, yes? (lordamercy, either I've turned into Yoda or a Frenchie - maybe a French Yoda!?!?!)

ps. thanks for becoming a follower.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP