Thursday, August 27, 2009

Smile For The Camera

Do you remember the good old days when capturing a special moment to keep forever was one heck of an ordeal compared to today's standards? When a special day was approaching, you better remember to have the film, the flash, and the batteries ready. God forbid if you forgot, because everything would have to come to a halt even if Little Bobby was ready to blow out his birthday candles! A quick run to the store was in order!


Then, of course, there was loading the film and winding it to the number 'one' position for that first picture. After all the pictures were taken, you would forward the film inside the camera before removing it. The next trip to the store, if you remembered to take the film with you, involved going to the counter to fill out the envelope or have the clerk do it for you with all your pertinent information and preferences. Then you go home and wait.


Once your pictures have been developed, off to the store you go once more to pick them up. You pay for them and take them home to see the wonderful results of those special moments. Upon opening the envelope, you discover some of the pictures are bad or blank. Another trip to the store because you can get a little bit of money back on those bad pictures. And the good pictures? They're thrown into a drawer to put in an album someday that never actually comes! Yes...the good old days!


Today is the day to share thrifty and vintage finds with all my friends hosted by Suzanne at Colorado Lady and Leigh at Bloggeritaville. Thanks ladies for hosting these two events and giving us the opportunity to share!

I did not know I was going to share my cameras today until I pulled them out to clean them up. I will be putting them on a display wall with all our family photos which I thought would be fun. Don't ask me why I'm drawn to vintage cameras, I just am. It's a little weird, but I do remember my first Brownie camera as a kid. And I enjoy nature photography. 

Oh and the best part, all my vintage cameras cost $3.00. Pretty good deal!

Now smile for the camera,
Cindy

37 Blessed Comments:

Jane August 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Thanks for sharing your cameras. You got an awesome deal on those. I have a couple of vintage cameras. My son is really into photography so of course it gave me an excuse to start another collection! I haven't found the deals that you have though. Loved your story about the good ole' days of film cameras....so true, so true. I really enjoyed your post.

Postcardy August 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

That's a nice camera display. I got my old 35mm camera repaired last year, put some film in it, and still haven't finished the roll. I am spoiled by digital cameras. I also bought some new photo albums last year and still haven't filled them with the prints I already have..

marianedwardsdreamweaver August 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

what a fun post..i love vintage cameras but i couldn't imagine life without my handy digital camera :)

Julie August 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

Cindy
Thanks for visiting! :-)
I remember my first Brownie Camera!!! I am wanting to get a better camera one day. Pictures are great ways to capture memories, yes? Great deal!!!
(3.00!)

Kathi Fly August 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Very interesting post!!! Love your cameras. I have some old ones that belonged to my father. I love cameras too!

LV August 27, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

It has been awhile sense I saw cameras of this type. You have a really nice collection. They bring back a lot memories.

Glenda/MidSouth August 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

You did get a great deal. Yes, I remember those days. :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage August 27, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

wow.. great display.. love the cameras.. and your post!

Kristine August 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

I'll say that IS a good deal!

linda August 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

I was shaking my head in agreement with everything you said...so funny and so true. Only thing I did different was I looked at my pictures at the store so I could return the blank/bad ones right then and there! Too funny! Thank you for the walk down memory lane!

You'll have to show us a picture of your cameras and photos on display sometime.

Jingle August 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

I LOVE old cameras!!!! These are so neat!!

Candace August 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

What great cameras - and so nice that you're taking good care of them! I remember my Brownie camera - wish I still had it - almost gone are the days of the old photo finishing stores!
Cheers!

Joan@anythinsggoeshere August 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

I love how the old cameras look and I love how great they are with old photos and other things like books. But I do have to say that I was never into taking pictures until digital cameras came out. I was a too impatient photographic and never learned the mechanics of using the old ones.

Elizabeth August 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Great story; I love the way you've presented your cameras! My sister and I have a big camera collection, all of which are from our dad's basement. I shared it last year for VTT.

Happy Cottage Quilter August 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

Hi Cindy,
This is my first time participating in VTT. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Laura @ the shorehouse. August 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

That's a GREAT deal! I had a Brownie camera as a kid...my dad picked uit up when he was in Vietnam and I used it in the 1970s...I can not for the life of me find it at my parent's house, and I would love to have it back! I love the look of old cameras.

Thanks for your comment on my thrifty finds. I, too, get a little dizzy and faint when surrounded by great flea opportunities, lol! I had a great time rummaging at the bazaar.

Lisa August 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your idea on jazzing up some pillows--great idea. I love your cameras...I actually saw an old instamax in an antique shop. I was surprised because that's the camera I used as a kid--it seem like yesterday!

Keetha Broyles August 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

My parents had a black box camera very similar to the one in the first picture.

Old memories coming back - - - -

Gwen August 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Cool collection! I have a few, but I got those from my grandparents.

mannequin August 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM  

I love Brownies! When I was little, there was one waaaay up in the top of my mother's closet. I think she did that on purpose. Every time I dragged a chair there to peek, she came in the room. :)

Digital cameras are great but there's nothing to hold onto, you know? Sorta like iTunes.

Coloradolady August 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

What a great camera collection. I think my husband has a vintage camera, but I don't know what happened to his camera, I will have to ask him. Great post too, loved this. Have a great VTT.

Jan Ely August 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

Wow--great collection!Thanks for sharing, now say "cheeze!"

Grits414 August 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

LOVE love love the old cameras!!! Thanks for stopping in and the comments!

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo August 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Your cameras are fantastic! I do remember those old days, and I thank the stars that the "old days" are behind us. lol

Thank you for your nice comments.
I too love the pillows. Thanks so much.
XO*Tricia

CC August 27, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

What a great post and a great camera display.I wish I had a camera to magically take pictures for me..I'm not very good at it. :). Happy VTT, have a wonderful weekend.

Dawn August 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Photography certainly has changed a lot, even in just the last ten years. Enjoyed seeing your camera's. What a deal!
Dawn

Embellished Bayou August 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

You got a good deal on all those cameras! I doubt the digital ones we use today will ever be of any interest to anyone years from now!

Kayleen August 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

OHHH this is so fun! I would love a camera display in my office. . . in fact, I think that's what I'll be searching for in the next few months of thrifting. I'd love to see your family photos wall when you put your cameras up!

Sherrie August 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

I love the Brownie! What memories!

Thank you for sharing your cameras!

Sherrie

Leigh of Bloggeritaville August 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

I LOVed this post. I am a photographer and I too collect old cameras. I LOVE them! Thanks for linking up, my friend!
Hugs!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
lbratina.blogspot.com

farmlady August 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

I do remember all of this. I even remember my Dad's old "box" camera that you looked down into from the top. I can still smell the leather.

I would say that picture taking has gotten easier because cameras have gotten more complicated. But, I LOVE my digital...

Tootsie August 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM  

great post!!! I love your take on the camera!!! I remember the world had to stop until all the faces were washed first!!! lol

Pink Roses and Teacups August 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Hi Cindy,

Nice to meet you. Thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog. First, I would like to tell you that picture of the lake is absolutely gorgeous! Oh, I wish I could go there! Love the poetry too!

Such as nice display of vintage cameras. I don't think it's wierd at all. I love vintage photos of children and brides, people that I don't even know. lol I remember my brownie camera too, and yes, you described it perfectly. I was so disappointed when the pics didn't turn out right. Thanks for sharing your great collection with us!

Debbie :)

Ally0005 August 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Cool old camera's.One day the ones we used now will be called those old camera's.

Ally

Kirby3131 August 29, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

What a true story. I've actually had my roll of film lost - it was the roll of film from my one and only trip to NYC. I don't remember the film I have taken, just the one I lost LOL

Your camera collection is so beautiful. I love the artistry of them. Thanks for showing them and for telling such a lovely tale :) a true tale!

Kristin - The Goat

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault August 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

I also remember being on an unforgettable photo safari in Turkey and not realizing that I had mis-installed the film. One day of photos - gone forever!
I love digital!
Evelyn in Montreal

M.M.E. August 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Nice to meet someone else who enjoys vintage cameras. I'm having a giveaway right now on my blog for a photo I took with a Kodak Duaflex loaded with 60 year old expired film. Come and enter if you'd like to win!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP