Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Garden Journal

Gardening inspires me. Working the ground, sowing the seeds, tending the plants, and harvesting the produce make me happy. My garden receives my utmost attention because of purpose. There is more to gardening than the physical aspect. For me, I feel a connection. Gardening is in my 'Top Ten' to be consistent and connected to what's really important in life.


As I take inventory on my efforts and the results, I can say I'm more than content. The garden is pleasing to the eye, is supplying nourishment to our bodies, and is providing a compass to guide me for next year. It's imperative to plan for next year's garden now based on this year's experiences. A detailed garden journal enhances those experiences and adds to its success.

A garden journal is a record for your own personal reference. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want or need. Anything from a shoebox with notes and seed packets to an organized binder with beautiful photos and detailed descriptions can be the inspiration for next year's garden. Do what fits your personality when it comes to journaling.

Some ideas to include in your journaling process: plants in the garden & their location, planting & harvest dates, sketches & photos of the garden, weather conditions & how they affect the plants, choice of fertilizers & mulching materials, relevant articles & clippings, garden photos that are inspirational, list of gardening references, preservation methods for the harvest, fabulous & fun recipes, and whatever else you want to include to make the journal your own.

Not only is it a journal of your garden's progress, but also of your own growth. It is a reflection and a record of what you are discovering and learning. So if you have no journal, now is the time to begin. It's never too late. Time passes quickly and before you know it, this growing season will be coming to a close. Then when it does and winter is upon us, pull out that journal to reflect and enjoy all your gardening experiences. It will certainly warm you.

Happy Journaling,
Cindy

2 Blessed Comments:

Embellished Bayou August 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

I really need to do this....I started one then just started throwing all the seed/plant tags in a drawer so I've got to get it all organized again!

2 Green Acres August 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

My garden journal is very practical. Right now, it is focused on my vegetable garden and only includes planting dates, harvest dates, and "things to remember for next year". That said, I find it very useful. What seems obvious in July ("make higher supports for tomatoes") is not so obvious next March.

http://www.2greenacres.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP