Monday, July 13, 2009

Zucchini Jam


Using a vegetable to make a jam may sound a little odd, but sometimes one needs to be a little creative with the overproducing zucchini plant. Now don't get me wrong. I love zucchini and appreciate its ease in growth and low maintenance. I even believe it doesn't deserve the reputation it receives with people rolling their eyes, shaking their heads negatively, and running away as you present them with yet another zucchini gift from your garden.

I'll admit it. My zucchini has started to overtake the refrigerator. What is it doing in there when the door is closed? Multiplying all on its own? My imagination is running wild with me!

I have been faithfully preparing and serving zucchini dishes every evening. Tool Man (hubby) comes home from work wondering not only what is for supper, oh no. He is wondering how in the heck is she going to change it up this time! My Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes (see my review at right) has actually saved me. It contains zucchini and other fresh garden veggie recipes. This cookbook makes me look like I know what I'm doing. What a hoot!

Anyhoo, I did not locate this zucchini jam recipe in any cookbook. Well yes I did, just not how you think. It was located in a newspaper clipping stuck within a cookbook. So why not try it. This recipe created a conflict for me, because when I think of jam, it's all about the freshness of the fruit. This is a vegetable, for pete's sake! We're talking lots of sugar, some pineapple, and gelatin. I never even buy gelatin. Sigh.

So here is the recipe. Proceed with caution.

Zucchini Jam

6 cups skinned & ground zucchini, 6 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 6 oz. flavored gelatin (raspberry, strawberry, apricot, or peach)

Cook ground zucchini for 10 minutes with juice drained from the crushed pineapple. Then drain the cooked mixture and add the sugar, pineapple, and lemon juice. Cook hard for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add gelatin. Cool. Place in jam jars or containers. Refrigerate. Makes 4 pints or 2 quarts.

And the taste? It's good. In fact while it was cooling and hadn't set up yet, we poured it over vanilla ice cream as the perfect dessert sauce!

So mission accomplished. The zucchini is out of the refrigerator...um, for now. :)

2 Blessed Comments:

Anonymous,  July 19, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

I sure do want to try this recipe!! Do you know if it can be put up in the waterbath and not just put in the refrigerator? All of us can use any zucchini recipes we can get!! :) Jody

Cindy at PlantSomeRoots July 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

Jody,
This recipe did not mention a waterbath so I'm not sure. I think it would be fine to put in the freezer as long as you have the proper container. If I make anymore of the jam, I will be freezing it.
Cindy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP