Monday, July 6, 2009

To Shampoo or Not To Shampoo


I have a confession to make. I have not shampooed my hair for two weeks. I have been washing my hair, just not shampooing it. Let me clarify the why and the how.

First, the why. I have been determining resourceful ways to reduce costs & save my dollars, to eliminate more plastic going to our overloaded landfills, and to just go as natural as possible to rid myself of unnecessary ingredients that are just plain bad. Shampoo strips our hair of its essentials oils and can be irritating to our skin. And anyhoo...I love being creative and finding alternative ways to do things.

Now, the how. I use baking soda to replace shampoo and vinegar to replace conditioner. The results are fabulous. To clean my hair, I made a mixture of about 1 part baking soda to 4-5 parts water and put it in a bottle. To wash my hair, I wet it, shake my bottle mixture, add some to my hair, lightly massage my scalp and hair, and rinse. For the vinegar solution, I mixed half water to half vinegar in a bottle. I add it to my hair after I've washed it and rinse again. It's that easy!

Now I will admit I was a little nervous to try this, but my hair is clean and it smells clean. I'm spending less time on my hair to make it cooperate and using less hair products including that dreaded hairspray that desperately clings to every surface within my bathroom.

And I am so happy that today I accidently found another blogger who is using the same method I have discovered. It's so nice to know that I'm not a lone ranger when it comes to hair care. So, to shampoo or not to shampoo? I'd say the verdict is in!

4 Blessed Comments:

Accidental Huswife July 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Hi there!

I'm with you on the baking soda/vinegar combo for hair! I've been using it since Feb and my hair looks better than it has in years. I even color my hair (not that I have grays :))

Maries Cottage July 10, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

I am very anxious to try this, I have read about it before, thanks for such a great post on it!

Anonymous,  July 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

I heard about using baking soda and vinigar but never such a good discription. I will try it right away. I have shampoo left but can use it for cleaning or such as getting grease stains out of clothes or a touch to wash dishes till it is gone. I do use Fells Naptha brand bar soap as my way of getting stains out before washing the clothes. Has worked great. If I really have to get something clean that needs the big guns I use the oxy cleaner from the dollar store to soak them in. It comes in a little white tub.
Awesom brand. It works great. I save the things needing done for a while then clean the lightest colored one then take it out...add the next darkest etc till they are all done then wait and see if later I have some other darker thing before throwing the water out. I keep it in a busket with a good lid and I do not have any little ones around. I do use vinigar and baking soda to clean and it workes better in so many places than the store brands..great isen't it. Jody

Cindy at PlantSomeRoots July 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Thank you for your comments and additional hints. I need to do an update soon!
-Cindy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP