Friday, July 24, 2009

Sunflower Day


Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. It's what sunflowers do. - Helen Keller

Such great wisdom from Helen Keller! For a woman who was blind, she could truly see what so many of us seem to miss. For the last couple of months, I am seeing and understanding more. Turning to a life of simplicity and my love of nature has become more of a spiritual journey than I could have ever imagined. As time goes on, I am more content, more aware, and more appreciative. Being in tune with one's values definitely brings out the best.

Sunflowers, I am finding, are joyful to me. This is my first year planting them. What have I been waiting for? They are such fun! I love this huge, big, and beautiful sunflower in my backyard. So you can imagine my panic to find it completely lying on the ground yesterday.

Wednesday was a day of a slow, steady rain all day long. We needed the rain, but I didn't need to see this perky plant that faces and follows the sun looking lifeless. I knew sunflowers tend to droop due to their height and being top heavy, but I did not determine the best support system except for the telephone pole behind them. In fact, I planted the sunflowers there to help camouflage that darn pole.

I closely examined my sunflower and found no breakage at all. What would be the best support for this seven foot majesty? How about pantyhose? That's right, pantyhose. I hope to never wear those tight, annoying, confining, blasted things again! I left the professional world behind to get ahead in my personal life. It makes sense to me. I no longer have the need for the vast array of clothing and stuff to portray the 'right' professional image needed in the business world. Thank goodness.

I went searching for old hose and some scissors. I made some strips, tied the drooping sunflower to the pole behind it, and it stood nice and tall again. Mission accomplished in no time flat!

Maybe instead of posting about sunflowers today, I should have come up with 101 ways to reuse your old pantyhose. Hmmm...

1 Blessed Comments:

Becky July 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

Amen to leaving the stuffy, "uniformed," Business world behind. I no longer have a wardrobe of dry clean clothes! It's so refreshing to wear what makes one happy!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP