Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How Sweet It Is


Living in the South has its advantages. As a former gal from the North, I feel I can make fair comparisons. Let's begin with just the weather, the hospitality, the lifestyle, and the food. There are no comparisons. The South gets my vote.

-I enjoy the warmer weather and the longer growing season of the South. We still have snow here, but there seems to be more sunshine. I don't miss those depressing, grey skies of the North all winter long.

-And for the hospitality, people are always waving and saying hi whether they know you or not. The South is a community of friendly people.

-The lifestyle allows you to be more laid back so you can enjoy. Some businesses don't even open up on the weekends, especially on Sundays. That is a day of rest. So go and rest.

-The food is fun. You don't have to make excuses if you eat what you want. Add the butter! Enjoy your dessert!

And one last thing I'd like to mention when it comes to differences with the North and the South...SWEET TEA!

Have you ever asked for sweet tea in the North?!? You will get a blank stare and a short pause followed by a "We have sugar on the table." Oh yeah, right, I forgot I'm in the North. They have never had the pleasure of brewing and enjoying the taste of sweet tea. No fun there. They have no idea what sweet tea is.

No offense. Remember, I am originally from the North. I'm in my fifties and have only been in the South for 17 years. You can do the math all you want. I've been in the South long enough now to say I'm no longer a Yankee (even though Tool Man tries to remind me that I am). I'm just saying that living in the South has been good to me and good for me. I enjoy the weather, the hospitality, the lifestyle, and the food. And my sweet tea, of course!

So no matter where you live, don't deny yourself the sweet, simple pleasures of the South. Go and have a sweet tea today.
How Sweet it is Tea
8-10 tea bags (Luzianne or Lipton Iced Tea Brew), small pot of water, 1 cup of sugar (or Splenda), 1 gallon pitcher/container
Add sugar to water and bring to boil over med-high heat, add tea bags, cover with lid, turn off heat, and let steep for one hour. Pour your tea base into gallon container and fill with water. Remove tea bags. Serve with ice and lemon. Lasts for two days refrigerated. Recipe can be adjusted according to taste. Enjoy!

1 Blessed Comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen July 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

I have a very good friend who retired to the south (Georgia) with her husband after living here in the north for many years. We visit them once a year and I know exactly what you mean about hospitality.

Thank you for visiting me for OW.

~Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Family & Fun

Blessed with Family & Fun

Search This Blog

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP