Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Zucchini


Hmmm...I just took the zucchini bread out of the oven and I'm waiting for it to cool. So while I'm waiting, I thought now would be a good blogging time. Since I have zucchini on the brain, I might as well post a picture and write on this subject.

The zucchini plant is a summer squash that is prolific and versatile. It can be served as a casserole or a side dish, fried or baked, or can be made as a tasty bread or even as the dessert to your meal. There are so many recipes out there featuring the amazing zucchini. This is our first year of coming back to planting and cooking zucchini. We had poor soil when we first moved here and it was disappointing to discover that we would have to put our love of this fresh vegetable on hold. Now our plants are huge and the smell of zucchini bread in our kitchen makes your mouth water.

The picture above includes some cookbooks that I'm enjoying this summer. Yes, I can get any recipe off the internet, but its not the same. I'm a visual person so holding an actual book in my hands and turning the pages to find interesting recipes with beautiful pictures is priceless. And besides, these cookbooks were from a collection of 150 books that I won at an auction. The elderly woman was downsizing with her husband to be closer to family. Cookbooks and recipes have a value that is hard to define. They can leave a legacy.

(Hold on for a minute...) Thanks, I'm back! I had to cut a piece of warm zucchini bread to snack on. So worth it! Caution: crumbs on the keyboard may become a problem.

So where was I? Oh yes, I wanted to mention that you can also do some preserving when it comes to zucchini. How about zucchini relish or jam? All you need is the right recipe and fresh zucchini. I'll let you know if I try it.

Now excuse me, but the zucchini bread is calling out my name. Till next time!

1 Blessed Comments:

Anonymous,  July 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

I have several cookbooks with only zucchini recipes or some have other veggies too in them and so many recipes I have saved from the newspaper etc through the years on making things with it. I keep them and plum recipes and persimmon, oranges etc in a accordian folder so I can retrieve them when the season is there. In the past the fruit was ready but I could not find the recipe! I learned my lesson! For some reason the last 3 years my zucchini has fizzled in the garden! Succhini fizzling is unheard of practically!! :) This year though I have plenty and so do my family and neighbors now!! :)The cookbooks I have collected through the years on simple cooking and older cookbooks and like the zucchini ones I don't see used anymore in our junk stores. Jody

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP