Thursday, June 25, 2009

Preserving


This was a very hot morning and a prefect time to leaf through the many brittle pages of some old, worn cookbooks. Such fun to read and they do have a wealth of information along with some humor sprinkled in here and there.

I need to relearn everything when it comes to preserving the produce from our garden. It came to me naturally some 25-30 years ago and I haven't done it since. I'll find the help I need in these old cookbooks.

Now back to the humor I mentioned earlier. I found this 'recipe' in more than one book and thought it would be fun to share. I think you'll find it entertaining.

How To Preserve A Husband

Be careful in your selection. Do not choose too young and take only such varieties as have been reared in a good moral atmosphere.

When once decided upon and selected, let that part remain forever settled and give your entire thought to preparation for domestic use. Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, while others are constantly getting them into hot water.

Even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with smiles and flavored with kisses.

Then wrap well in a mantle of charity. Keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion and serve with the fruits of constant devotion and milk of human kindness.

When thus prepared, they will keep for years.

(We hope this gets desired results, which is to help women who have 'em to keep 'em and those who don't have 'em to get 'em and keep 'em well preserved.)

1 Blessed Comments:

Anonymous,  July 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

I too took a break from preserving for a while only doing say tomatoes most years...I too now need to reread my notes etc and gather the spices and such needed when the crops are in and canning time comes around again. I made zucchini relish for the first time in probably 4 years. Yummmm! I have decided I need to keep a notebook that contains just my canning recipes and notes. Also the list of what I canned and where it is stored. It will save me if I have the notes so I can remember how much the recipe actually made and any changes I did and how it worked out etc. I could keep half of the notebook for the freezer inventory or the pantry inventory I suppose too. Use loose leaf notebook so pages can be added and taken away. Yea..I talked myself into doing just that!! :) Jody

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP