Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Compost Happens!


This year is my first attempt at making our own compost. Our soil is tired and needs a natural perk. I researched what to do (online) to determine what method would suit us best. Discovering how to do a compost pile is like looking at cookbooks for the best recipe...there is more than one way to do it to get the same results. And just like recipes, I don't follow them religiously. I use a recipe as a guideline and then go by the look and feel.
I chose to use wooden pallets wired together since I had access to them and believe in recycling as much as possible. I also like a quick and easy method. Another thought-always place your compost pile in a convenient location to save yourself some steps. I wanted ours between the house and the garden.
Recently my pile has become smaller which is a good thing. It is starting to do its job and decompose. Depending on the time you give to your compost pile will determine when it will be ready. Don't rush it. It's a work in progress. It can take anywhere from two to six months, give or take.
Here's my recipe:
3 parts carbon which is the dry stuff: dried leaves, straw, etc.
1 part nitrogen which is the wet stuff: vegetable scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds, etc.
Your pile needs to have moisture like a wrung out sponge and needs to be mixed every few days.
You can also use grass clippings, but we feel they should be left in the yard for a better lawn.
And there you have it. Compost happens!

0 Blessed Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blessed with Awards

Blessed with Awards
2009

2010

Blessed with Blogging Buddies

Photobucket

Copyright 2009-2011 Plant Some Roots




  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP